Need a good sub box...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DJ-phYre, Jun 23, 2004.

1. DJ-phYre

DJ-phYre Active Member

I am planning on ripping out my system in my Mazda 6 and I am going top of line w/ a budget :o

I am planning on going with Incriminator Audio Lethal Injections subs.

Probably going with a single 12. I am basically looking for low bass that sounds good (SQ). Any help in the search for boxes would be appreciated.

I don't have time to build my own.

2. 04

04 Guest

If you want top of the line, you will want a custom made enclosure. Check your phone book and call up a few carpenters in your area and see if they will give you a quote. Or you could get a car audio shop to do it as well.

3. DJ-phYre

DJ-phYre Active Member

bump.. approximately how much will a custom box cost me? not more then $150 for a single sub should it?

4. DigitalOSH

DigitalOSH Guest

Dude
    how handy are you, and how much time do you have on your hands? would you be willing to lose your spare tire, and you have a garage? Because if you have all these things, it cheaper, more effective, much more stylish, and much cooler to fiberglass your trunk, and do it yourself or with friends.
    Instead of a lethal injection sub get yourself a Kicker CompVR http://www.kicker.com/ShowPage.cfm?...menu=SUBWOOFERS

Theyre a lot better in my opinion.

5. DigitalOSH

DigitalOSH Guest

6. DigitalOSH

DigitalOSH Guest

OK, it wont fix the link. Go to kicker.com, its there

7. On_One

On_One Guest

I will bet any amount that you have never even heard an IA sub.

Your opinion is worth shit.

8. On_One

On_One Guest

if your talking custom as in built custom for that specific driver then it will be no more than 150.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2004
  9. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

10. pharcyde183

11. DigitalOSH

DigitalOSH Guest

Well thanks for that... I dont really think thats an appropriate response. And yes i have heard IA subs and i still like the compVR better. Its punchier.

12. On_One

On_One Guest

:uh: :ugh: :rofl:

13. pharcyde183

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

14. 04

04 Guest

What does "punchier" even mean? Can you give him any real reasons on why the compVR is better? Maybe then people would take you seriously....

15. DigitalOSH

DigitalOSH Guest

You may notice that some subs make a lot of noise, but the bass may be a little off or may rumble longer than it sounds. The lack of these discrepancies is called "punchy" (in my area anyway)because the sub "punches" out the sound right when its needed, and as is the nature of a punch, is quick.

16. 04

04 Guest

So you are saying that certain subwoofers delay the sound? How do you know that isnt due to the listening environment or some other factors? A high Q design (boomy) is not going to sound delayed, just exaggerated. Either that, or you had some kind of time delay on....

No woofer is so slow to respond to changes in voltage that it delays the sound as you describe. Even an extremely high Q speaker design wont ring for more than a cycle or two, and even at 20hz, thats 1/10 of a second...

17. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

18. DigitalOSH

DigitalOSH Guest

Well see i dont know all of that shit, all i know is i have a 1000w Solo-Baric L7 and when it kicks it sometimes kicks a little, but noticeably late and rumbles way too long.

19. 04

04 Guest

I would bet that your car is what is rumbling for a long time. Try taking the subwoofer out of the car, and play it out in the open. It shouldnt rumble for way too long anymore. It probably sounds 'late' because of the distance between the woofer and you. How far away is it? What kind of car do you drive? You also may have some time delay enabled on your headunit as well.

20. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

L7s also work better in small sealed enclosures, maybe the box you heard it in was too big.

21. On_One

On_One Guest

Actually L7's(2001-2004 model) work much better in large sealed enclosures. Kicker's reccomended sealed enclouse wil give you a very high QTC alignment. To get anything close to a linear response a 12" L7 would need at least 9^ft sealed.

High QTC enclosuresdesigns (i.e. small) typically sound "punchier" becuase of the spike in the lower midbass region. While the "punch" may sound good to some people, it's no where close to an acurate response.

22. On_One

On_One Guest

Also Digital OSH i'd really like to know where you had a chance to here an IA sub.

23. rhino

rhino New Member

I have a 10" kicker CVR and i love it. If you want it to drop dont put it in a sealed box thats for sure. I just put mine in a sealed box today and its going into a tuned ported box first thing after work tomorrow. I wanted to save some space with the sealed box but it wont drop like it did or hit hard like before. Kicker makes good stuff and is just down the road from where I live. :bigthumb:

24. On_One

On_One Guest

25. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter