Need a good hs/fan???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Apr 5, 2006.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

My p4 3.2e is running pretty hot. I only have the stock hs/fan on it though.

What does OT recommend? Not sure what will fit because I have an antec super lanboy case that is pretty tight. Cost isn't a factor.

tia

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Zalman CNPS-7000Cu should fit.

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

thanks for the quick reply. Actually I was looking into the zalman 9500 but read some reviews that the fan is relatively loud. Someone also said all fans w/zalman hs's are loud.
    Do you personally have one?

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I use a Zalman CNPS7700Cu w/ a Yate Loon fan. With the stock fan @ 12V it is a tad loud, but @ 5V its inaudible.

I am quite satisfied with it. Keeps my 630 @ 3.75GHz under 55°C full load.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have personally installed several hundred of these heatsinks. They are very very quiet (you can't even hear them) if you put them in a good case, and use fan control.

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I have thought of getting a sunbeam rheobus but not sure if the knobs will have enough clearance from my door on my super lanboy case.
    Have you done an install with this case or have any experience with a controller for this case?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the lanboy has a cheap feel too it. However, it's similar to the sonata.

Do *not* get a fanbus. A fanbus is for ricers that want something to "look" fancy, but at the same time hurt their performance. A properly built machine does not need a fanbus... You should be connecting fans to the motherboard so that they may be throttled based on thermal demands. A quiet case is a nice case, but if the heat warrants it, I'd rather sacrifice some noise for SAFE cooling. enabling fan control on your mobo will provide this safety feature, while doing so as quietly as possible.

8. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I bough the lanboy locally when I had to get something. It is definately a "cheap" feeling case but I don't carry it around so it does a decent job.
    OK, you are losing me about the fan controller. You mentioned getting a fan controller earlier. Is that not the same as the sunbeam rheobus? I am running pretty hot as far as cpu temps go so I plan on replacing my stock fan as well as my 2 120mm case fans. Since I'm going trough this I figured to get a fan speed controller (sunbeam rheobus is price right) so i can throttle the fans when needed.
    Not worried about the "rice" look since the case door will cover it up anyway. Well, that is really what I need to know. If the door has enough clearance from the control knobs.
    If there is a better "flush" one or a digital one with a screen and no knobs please let me know.

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

not all motherboards do this though. A lot of LGA775 boards don't with aftermarket cooling unless it has a 4pin fan header, which the majority of them don't.

And i am pretty sure a Vantec Nexus will fit in the lanboy with the door closed. I think my old roomate could close the door on his, but don't quote me on this.

10. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I have a Zalman CNPS7700Cu on my P4 3.6... runs awesome... much quieter than both the stock hs/fan and the piece of crap ThermalTake that I had before.

11. benson304

benson304 OT Supporter

The Cooler Master Hyper 6+.

Quiet. But HUGE.

12. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I went ahead and got the zalman 9500. I also picked up 2GB of ram, three 120 mm fans, sunbeam rheobus, and some AS5. Probably be mid week before it gets here.
    Thanks for the suggestions.