Need a DTS Receiver suggestion

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Weapon X, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Weapon X

Weapon X Well-Known Member

I'm looking to upgrade my Dolby PRO Logic receiver (Sony STR-DE345). I just got a new DVD player after spending a few weeks reading reviews (Panasonic RV31).

My friend works for Sony, so I'm kind of partial to them since I can get a good deal, but it's not completely necessary. I'm looking to spend around $250. I looked at the STR-DE675, 845 and 945, but the reviews I've seen aren't that encouraging.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

You certaintly cant go wrong with Denon.
    Im a BIG fan of their products, and have been completely satisfied with their quality, and performance.
    Will you pay more for a Denon. Yes. Is it worth it...hell yes!
    Sony makes some shitty recievers, its not untill you get into teh ES range that you start getting into anything even remotly decent sounding. Sony makes loud amplifiers, that have alot of volume to them, while sacrificing alot of quality. And 9 times out of 10, the Sony amps are rated considerably higher then they really should be. If you want to get a cheap Denon amp, i suggest looking at the Denon 1602, or 1802. The wattage ratings may be lower then the Sony, but i assure ou the sound quality qill be nearly double that of the Sony, and the volume levels will be equal to the Sony as well.
    Aside from Denon, Onkyo is decent as well. But im not totally familier with their product lineup.
    But for the most part, you will be hapier with your home theater experience if you buy a nice reciever, and some nice speakers to go with it, as well as some good cabling. As long as you keep some basic quality rules in your head, and spend a little more to get some good quality components you should be fine.

3. Weapon X

Weapon X Well-Known Member

Thanks Buck :big grin:

4. Nosamk

Nosamk Guest

The Sony DB series is decent, but I believe that the cheapest DB retails for about $600. I would personally look into Denon or Marantz, but I dont think they'll be in your budget.

5. mgs333

mgs333 Guest

sony is overrated. you might be able to find an onkyo in your price range. onkyo is nice, i have an few year old onkyo receiver.

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

There are quite a few nice recievers that are DTS capable now.

I own the first Sony DB540 and it is an excellent performer and very stylish. Sony products are NOT overrated, at least the DB line which is very high quality for the money.

Denon and Onkyo are also worth looking into.

7. importspeed

importspeed New Member

If you are looking for a reciever in that price point, I would suggest the Onkyo 494. It is current that drives speakers, not wattage and the sonys are indeed loud, but they sacrafice the quality of the sound much like everyone here has said. This year's STR -XXX has sacraficed the "B" channel that many of the recivers had, as well as cheap screen printed rears as well as really poor binding posts. If you want a really well built reciver that will allow you to do multiple rooms (not at the same time on the 494), but will also give you good results, go with an Onkyo. I have had my Onkyo 787 for a year or so and am VERY impressed. What I got for the money suprassed many recievers at a higher price point.

8. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

I owned an Onkyo 434 er sumin? It was a dolby pro logic...it got stolen when my house got broken into. We replaced it with a Onkyo 676 and have nothing bad to say about it. You can push these amps to their limits and they keep sending out clean power. For the money they are a great value, great controls, easy to set up and they have tons of options and inputs/outputs.

9. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I've listened to a few onkyo's and they tend to hiss, imo. I bought a Marantz sr-7000 two years ago and that thing is just plain AWESOME. http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?19
    That is what convinced me to buy it. There is a nice website called www.audioreview.com I highly recommed you check it out as well. Since this model has been out for a while, I am very sure you can get it a lot cheaper than the listed price.

Good luck