A&P Need a DSLR bag..

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by interstate76, Dec 28, 2009.

1. interstate76

interstate76 New Member

Hey, can anyone recommend a bag that I would like to use to hold my SLR body, 3-4 lenses and other random SLR junk (maybe a flash, mem cards, etc)..

I'm looking for one that isn't too bulky (one that wouldn't be a hassle to take around on trips and carry it around) and is fairly affordable. I'm not looking to blow a ton of cash on one.

Any suggestions would be great!

2. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

I love my crumpler. I only have a 5 million dollar home but it fits my needs and is awesome to carry around while not looking like a camera case. One of the larger ones may be able to fit all of your stuff in it.

3. interstate76

interstate76 New Member

Wow, that one looks pretty nice. It's a little more than I really wanted to spend, but I'll prob really consider it. I saw a Lowepro, I think, for about $40 that I really liked, but I don't know what model it was and the store I saw it at is sold out..

4. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

I have a lowepro slingshot 200 id be willing to sell... probably only carried it 5 times (i prefer to toss my cam into a backpack :dunno:)

it can hold my 30d + grip + 70-200, and 4 lenses (or flash + 2 lenses, or a smaller lens on the body and a flash and 3 lenses), with a space dedicated to memory cards and another pocket for misc stuff, filters etc.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

Domke

I have the F-4AF and I can fit my 40D with a lens mounted and 2 more lenses and I can put a flash in one of the side pockets and another flash in the other side pocket and still have room for other stuff

6. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

I have a 6 million dollar home from crumpler. been a very good bag. I'm about ready to sell it to upgrade to a backpack though. Just need to wait for the NAIAS to come and go and then I'll probably unload it.

7. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

8. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I have the 8m Home from Crumpler. So awesome.
    INside:

5D2 with mounted 70-200 f/2.8L
    Along side of that on the left is a 24-70 2.8L
    Underneath that are business cards
    To the right of the camera I have a 50mm 1.4 and above that a 85 1.2L II
    In front of those I have a 430EX Speedlite
    Also included are cf cards, some notes, and other little misc papers in the pockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i have the lowepro 350 backpack. i put my d90 in with 3 medium sized lenses and 2 primes, as well as my sb-600 flash, a shitload of accessories, and anything else i want.

great bag for around $100. i took it to europe and i use it as my main carry bag.

10. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

check this http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

I have a Glass Taxi that I used for some time until I outgrew it, that said it's a great bag and I still use it when I got out on the town and not to a full on shoot.

11. iRate

iRate New Member

I have the 7 million dollar home...and love it.

12. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Same here. Great bag, low profile (for the most part) and carries everything in it.

13. tun

tun Active Member

i have the 7mdh too but i hate the messenger bag style. i'll probably get a backpack eventually

14. phigity

phigity New Member

I use a Burton AK29. Tons of room, enough pockets, and straps to work for me.

15. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

If you do a lot of mobile shooting, the backpack will get annoying. I sold my backpack for this bag and it has been the best thing ever.

16. phigity

phigity New Member

I have the Burton backpack and the Lowepro 200 sling. Backback for business trips and out of town. Sling for running around on personal things.

17. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

How the fuck is this possible? the 70-200 on the body?

I had a slingshot 300 and it couldn't hold jack shit other than when the 70-200 was on the body... no way to put the body away with a different lens on it.

I ended up getting a Lowpro Computrekker Plus AW to replace my Slingshot 300 with.

The most comfortable bags to carry are propper backpacks. The slingpro and messenger style bags (like the million dollar home series everyone here loves) all become really annoying really fast if you hit the pavement for a few hours.

I have carried my Computrekker with a D700, 14-24, 24-70, 50prime, 70-200, two sb 600s, extra batteries (camera and flash) for many 5-12 mile+ days with no problems at all. Good shoulder straps and a beefy hip belt makes it all possible.

18. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yah after doing europe with heinz, i can't imagine anything other than a backpack. i can't stand laptops in a bag that goes over my 1 shoulder.

the backpacks are just so comfy. you get the waist strap too if you want extra support. we could walk around for 10 hours and never feel tired.

lowepro = win

19. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I just could not get used to a backpack. Getting in and out was just not easy for me. but it does hold a lot of stuff

20. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

+1

21. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

werd, the million dolla home series is perfect for carrying around and easy access!

22. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

I thought it would be an issue, but even in the tightest of church towers I could spin the bag down, onto the ground (drop down get your eagle on girl) swap and be back up shooting with bag on back in seconds... you just can't be lazy and have to get on the ground with your bag... even in the most crowded situations I have managed. Besides if you are standing with a top loader or million dollar home, chances are if you drop a lens by getting bumped that fall will break it, if you are down on the ground kneeling into your back pack, if it falls it drops into the bag and only a inch or two...

To each their own, I know the MDH are very popular, I think if I wanted a bag for camera with a single lens I might go that rounte for more of a glorified camera protector, but fuck it I have insurance if I am only taking one lens the camera gets no bag.

23. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

not to mention you end up carrying the body out of the bag anyway. no matter what bag, you still have to inconvenience yourself to swap lenses

24. High_Boost

High_Boost New Member

I use a Tenba "shootout mini" backpack and I like it
    tenba . com/products/Shootout-Mini-Backpack.aspx

I carry my xsi attached to my tamron 17-50 + hood reversed
    my tokina 12-24 + hood reversed
    my canon 55-250 (pretty small for a tele)
    my 50 1.8
    my 430ex2 flash
    and my wireless triggers, spare batts, etc

if I had my way I would like some more pockets (unfortunately the 2 side ones are pretty useless as they open into the main compartment), but other than that it is pretty good
    it also has a verry versitile tripod carrying setup
    I spent $100 on it, but it seems to be made of high quality components.. I compared it with several cheaper lowepro's and liked it more

p.s. - it is fairly heavy as backpacks go

25. Keegan

Keegan New Member

My vote goes to Domke F2 for day to day bag. Holds a lot and has a small footprint. Many different configurations are available with inserts.
    A vote for Think Tank too, but they're a bit pricey for bags.