Need a C# book recommendation!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eof, Feb 11, 2003.

1. eof

eof New Member

Basicly I am doing a report / presentation on C# in a months or so and I have never used C# or any .Net technology. I have a good background in console (4 years in comp sci) c/c++/java/prolog/cobol/etc but really havn't done any windows programming. I just need something that will teach me C# syntax and give me enough of an idea that I can meet the critera below.

I was looking at going with Inside C# (http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/5027.asp) or Programming C# (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progcsharp/).

Ideally after reading one of these books I would want to make a few basic console examples, a simple web example, a simple windows GUI example and maybe either a database or network example.

Here is what the prof is asking for just in case that helps at all....recommend away!!!

oh...and I am not asking you to do my homework so :fawk:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The report should include information that you would like to find in a report on a language that you are considering learning:

- general information about the language - brief history, why it was developed, how widely it is used, for what, etc.
    - summary of syntax with brief examples,
    - summary of the main language constructs (depends on the nature on the language, but could include, for example, the main classes and their messages, etc.)
    - description of the development environment (how do you create and maintain
    programs)
    - a few brief examples (perhaps one or two pages of code each but 'lines of code' is not a good measure) showing typical uses for which the language is intended/used
    - one slightly larger example of a typical use (perhaps 5 times bigger than the small examples)
    - your evaluation of the language
    - references - books, web sites, newsgroups, vendors, etc.
    - be sure to give reference where you use quotations
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

3. eof

eof New Member

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I had been programming for over a year at that point. I only bought the book to teach me the syntax of C#. If that's what you are looking for, this is a perfect book. They also go into details about ADO.NET, Web Services and even ASP.NET (I believe, I don't have the book in front of me).

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

are you doing a presentation on some language or something ?

6. eof

eof New Member

Yeah...in order to graduate it is a requirement to do a signifigant project. Some people are making database backed websites (pretty easy really) and others are doing bigger software implementations. (like one guy is making a guitar multi-effect pedal with java)

I wanted to do a easy website but you need to find a professor to supervise the project and since I was late picking a project/supervisor all the profs that deal with PHP/Mysql were booked. I decided that learning a unknown language and reporting on it would be a allright project....specially since I am thinking that none of the profs have seen / played with C#.

Now I am finding I have to do some signifigant examples and prepare a 50minute presentation....:(

Oh well....I am sure when I am done I will know a little bit more about win32 programming / .Net architecture so it is definitly a good experience.

Just hope I can fill 50 min with examples and shit....:eek:

7. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

heh i have to do a lecture before i graduate as well :o :mad: