SRS Need a book suggestion for my addict sister

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by moses, Dec 20, 2006.

1. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

She's "trying" to turn her life around after giving birth, then abandoning the baby with my parents for several weeks. Well she's back again and going to go into rehab, i've almost completely given up on her as being a functioning member of society, but I really don't want to.

I've heard that Dr.Drew's book "Cracked" is a good book for family members of addicted people, but what is something I could give her for christmas that would hopefully make her "get it" and try to stick with the rehab?

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

:hug:

well, sadly, there is nothing in your power you can do to make her stop, and for this, i am sorry. for family members of addicts, there is a group called Al-Anon that can help you with these things.

What you could do for her for christmas, would be to only allow her into your home if she is not using. A lonely christmas and a statement like that, hard as it may be for you, might be the jolt she needs to realize she is not living life on life's terms. You cannot make her "want" to stop :hs:

Rehab will help, but she is going to need us (www.na.org) to keep it up :)

We're free.

3. curt698

curt698 New Member

Tupac killer is dead on. My sponsor has always told me that I can not give away willingness, it has to come from inside the addict. Also I agree that you should be strong and only spend time with your sister when she is straight and trying to recover.

I'd say more but honestly Tupac said it all. Have a Merry Christmas, as addicts we ruin holidays for others, weather your sister is straigh or not on the 25th enjoy yourself! Don't let her hold you and your family hostage.

Dave

4. crackerjack

crackerjack just creepin by

Dude. Druggies don't want to read a book on how fucked up they are. Trust me. I used to be one.