A&P Need a beginner camera - I searched and read stickies

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ww_Crimson, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I've been interested in photography for a while but never pursued it and now my girlfriend is expressing an interest in it as well so we are considering learning together.

I read through the stickies, went to a few of the links that have camera reviews, and I used the search function too but I couldn't really find the kind of answers I was looking for.

I'm looking for a camera that will offer a decent shot with the "auto" function but also offers pretty good manual controls. I am most interested in shooting Nature and then perhaps other still objects (cars, things around the house, etc.). Action shots will be pretty limited. I would prefer something with a good zoom as the cheap kodak P&S that I have is pretty limited and that's what I use for just quick shots of family and friends.

Since a zoom is important to me (thinking nature shots still) I feel like I might need to buy a camera that supports lenses but I don't know which is why I'm asking. Does a 10-12x optical zoom really cover most needs? How far of a zoom do lenses tend to add?

What steers me away from a camera that requires lenses is that I am not looking to invest a ton of money into this while I'm first starting out.

I'm looking to spend no more than $375 if I can help it and I don't mind buying used at all. I've looked in the yardsale a little bit to get an idea for prices.

In the past my point and shoots (one broke and one was stolen) have been Canon's and I liked them quite a bit but I am not entirely partial to any particular brand. I mostly want to buy something that has been/is used by people on this forum so if I have questions I can ask, and also because if you've used the camera you've obviously got first hand experience with it.

Thanks for reading, I hope something comes from this thread and that hopefully in a few weeks I'll be out shooting and practicing.

2. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

Try looking for a used Canon G10. I think they're in that ballpark now (400ish)

3. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

4. High_Boost

High_Boost New Member

if you think it is something you may end up getting into, I would go with an old used dslr, that way you have room to grow..

in your price range you can easily get a decent old one
    a canon XT should be around ~$300-$350 /w a kit lens
    you can find an XTI for $350-400 /w kit lens
    or you could get an old pro-sumer like the 20D for $300-$400 depending on condition

the kit lens that comes with them will be an 18-55, which isn't that long of a lens, but you can add a cheap telephoto zoom, like the 75-300 for ~$100 most of the time

5. alexromo

alexromo New Member

canon 20D