GUN Neck of pistol case more rough after going through a press

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlobeGuy, Apr 24, 2008.

1. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I just turned out my first 12 rounds of ammo through my press. :bigthumb: The neck of the case feels rough after going through the press, is this normal or do I have something setup wrong?

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Is this after you resize or after your crimp the bullet. I'm thinking it's probably the crimp. If so just need an adjustment of your crimp die, what crimp die are you using. If it's a lee then adjust out the knob on top. Then put a loaded round into the press and up into the crimp die. Crank the knob down until it's hand tight on the loaded round. Back the round out of the press and give it another 1/2 or 3/4 turn tighter.

The case will still have an edge but bullet should be tight in the case. You should not be able to turn the bullet by hand (that's way to loose). Now you can also over crimp which would not hold the bullet well at all. It's better to under crimp than over crimp.

3. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

It's after the crimp station. So roughness = loose crimp? I am currently using Hornady 3 set new dimension dies and the rounds are freely going into the case gage.

4. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

pistol brass doesn't have a neck...maybe thats your problem

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Ah, that'll do it.

6. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I just saw a youtube video of LnL AP press in action, and there's no hang up like I have on mine when the ram is lowered on crimping die station.

My rounds hang up a bit on the crimping station then pops out of the die. Looks like I need to set this up again.

7. 993kgt

you shouldn't be able to feel anything during the crimp stage...if the rounds are coming out bulging in the center, looking like mr planters without the cane/spectacles, your crimp die is far too low

8. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

During the crimping stage (ram going up), I don't feel anything. It's when the ram is coming down I feel the resistance, the round does not want to come out smoothly and it pops out.

And the rounds fit into the case gage fine, and dummy rounds I made with this setup does cycle in my gun just fine.

9. 993kgt

do your dies need to be polished?

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well your going to have to take a look at your crimp. It does have an effect on accuracy if you do it wrong. I believe the hornady dies are similar to the lee in they have an adjustment knob on the top.

For pistol cases I'd start out with a crimp on the lighter side. Sounds to me your over crimping. I'm not framilar with the lnl as I'm a dillon guy. I would assume you have a case in each station, are you sure the hang up is at the crimp station and not say the case getting a bell (for example). If that's the case some case lube helps (hornady one shot).

If you want to get downright anal on your crimps (I do this for molly bullets) load a round then use a bullet puller to remove the bullet. Examine what the crimp is doing to the bullet. On a molly case I want a ring completely around but not breaking the molly. On a jacketed bullet I'm looking for the lightest of rings but going completely around the case. If I break the molly or have a monster ring where the bullet is starting to get deformed I know I got too much crimp.

11. 993kgt

if it helps, i don't crimp my pistol brass at all- you can get away with this if you don't bell the mouth as much to accept the powder

12. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

It's a brand new set of dies...does it? :eek3:

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

No need to polish the dies unless they are old, pitted, rusted etc. Just some case lube. The case lube really makes the machine more pleasant to use. Hornaday one shot.

14. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Yes, they do have an adjustment knob on the top. But doesn't that control the depth of seating and not the crimping??

Maybe I have my nomenclature wrong. What I'm doing is just straightening out the case, is that still called crimping or is it only crimping when the brass pinches inward?

To my fingers it feels like little bit of bell is still left on the case, so I doubt I'm overcrimping it. I only used one shell on the shell plate to get rid of other variables and it's the crimping station that causes the resistance.

15. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Do you use one shot inside of the die? It claims it won't contaminate the power or primer...but I'm still hesistant to let anything touch my powder or primer.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

No spray on the cases. It'll work it's way onto the dies from there. I dump some cases into my case feeder (dillon) and then give it 2 short squirts of one shot. Then I turn on the case feeder and it just works it way to the rest of the cases and dies.

If I did not have a case feeder I put about 5 handfulls of cases in a pan or shoe box, 2 squirts of one shot, and then lightly toss the cases to coat. (no gay references you sick bastards this is serious bussiness.)

17. 993kgt

i use dillion lube, it is basically vaseline dissolved in rubbing alcohol

18. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Do you wipe one shot from the cases at any point of reloading process or do you just make complete rounds with that stuff on them?

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

As long as you don't use too much one shot you do not need to remove the lube from the loaded ammo. Just strait into your gun and shoot em. I am super anal and I tumble my rounds for 20 minutes after I load them. It's not so much for the lube as it is to check for loose primer pockets. If you have a loose primer pocket on a case the primer can fall out before it's fired. Seems to happen in the magazine when you rapid fire the gun. The primer then jams all the rounds behind it in the magazine.

This happened several times to several people at our local matches. We then found it was a certain case of some foreign military 9mm. The case has a funny circle with plus sign through it on the head stamp. I'm thinking these cases were swaged too. Anyway while everyone else down here sorts through their ammo and tosses all cases without a recognizable head stamp (winchester, remington, pmc, federal, S&B, etc) I tumble my cases. I found if there is a loose primer pocket the primer will work out of the case in the 2nd tumble. It also makes my ammo extra bling. Do not tumble molly or lead bullets. Only jacketed or plated and for no longer than 20 minutes.

Hmm everytime I respond to a reloading or shooting technique post I type a damn novel.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I use the dillon lube for rifle cases. For pistol I like one shot as it is thinner.

21. Did it look like this?

[​IMG]

22. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

that's the one. Garbage.

23. That's the NATO headstamp. That just means the ammo was made to NATO standards.

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Is the primer pocked swagged/crimped ? I'm thinking the primer pocket is loose and then it is swagged to hold the primer in. When we reload them and punch the primer out the pocket is too loose to hold the primer during recoil.

25. God only knows. I know that sometimes when I decap NATO stamped 5.56 rounds, sometimes I have to really hammer hard to get the primers out. I've never had a new primer fall out after they're loaded though.