neck injury while doing bench press

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by seven, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seven

seven New Member

4 days ago i was doing a bench press, and on my last rep i felt some pain in my neck.

When i got up i felt intense pain in my neck/right shoulder when i looked in the right or left direction. I've stopped working out, and have been resting it.

i think this happened because i didn’t stretch my neck properly before doing the exercise.

it has got a little better, but just moving my neck in the wrong direction and it gets really painful.

how long do these things normally take to heal (I’ve pulled my biceps before and they only take a bout a week to heal fully, but this feels like it might take longer).

When should I start working out again after it heals? Should i still do lower body workout's or just rest my whole body?

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

you should probably focus on tucking your chin.

I've seen people who push their head up while benching because they're straining so hard and it looks like they're about to tear something.

3. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I strained my neck benching a couple of weeks ago, took a week off and its all gravy now.

4. CPop

CPop New Member

I've had that happen, for me it was due to some problem I have around the C7 area.

As previously stated, make sure you aren't picking up your neck. This is true for all exercises. Keep the neck "bulled" -do not let your head "goose" forward!!! When benching, keep your head on the bench.

If this has happened before you may want to do more upper back/trap exercises once you've recovered.

5. seven

seven New Member

you don’t know how comforting it is to hear that, I’m paranoid that I might have to deal with this for years or that a surgery or something might be required to fix it.

6. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

I had this happen awhile back. Kinda like if you turn your head too quick it feels like someone is stabbing you in the neck? I took a few days off, got a massage, and made good use of our hot tub

7. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Im having the same problem right now. Its slowly fading away.

8. seven

seven New Member

i've been hearing conflicting things about heat...

i've been told ice is better, but it really does feel a lot better after a hot shower.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

No wai. This happened to me in high school and I was fine after a couple weeks of not bothering it.

10. Spidey

Spidey Member

Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Was pushing my head back into the bench on my last rep. Pain went away in about a week.

11. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

I'm confused :wtc: anyone know the real answer cause it seems/feels like it might happen to me at any time

12. CPop

CPop New Member

When he says to tuck your chin, he doesn't mean touch your chin on your chest, more like try to move your head back, the opposite of bad posture you'd see when at a computer; the head slouched forward trying to see the monitor.

13. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

thanks man :bowdown:

14. seven

seven New Member

it's slowly getting better. I think I’m going to wait a whole week after it is fully heal before i hit the iron again. I’m just going to do cardio until I can start bulking again.

i suggest everybody always stretch their whole body before any exercise, I never realized how easily the neck could be injured doing bench press.

15. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

I've had this happen on a lift before. You probably turned your neck side-ways while lifting causing a strain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.