Necessary to wash again after clay?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 91RS, Jun 21, 2009.

1. 91RS

91RS If this flag offends you... you need a history les

I'm going to get out the buffer and try out my new Optimum products on the Benz today. I just need to wash it first (I should have done that yesterday). I'll probably just have to use the water hose since the pressure washer is too loud for this early. I'm not sure if I need to clay or not yet, but I have a few quick questions. I can just use the car wash soap for lube right? Do I need to wash again after claying?

I'll be using the Optimum Polish II and Finish today and putting the Opti-Seal on Tuesday when it comes in (I guess it was backordered).

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Unless you are leaving chunks of clay on the paint, there is no reason to rewash.

3. 91RS

Alright, thanks. I decided not to clay today since it didn't seem like it needed that bad and it's already getting pretty hot.

One more question. Does Mercedes use really hard paint like Audi? My PC doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot with the swirles. I'm using the Polish II on a white Lake Coutry pad, should I go with a light cutting pad instead? If I do that, will I need to go over the whole car with the white pad before I do the Finish? I also think I may go ahead and put some CMW on it today and then put the Opti-Seal on top of that when it comes in.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if you have the ceramiclear paint, yes. the paint code is in the door jamb and is 3 digits and if it ends with a C, have fun.

edit: iirc, it's a black label and the paint code is is the bottom right corner. but don't quote me.

5. 91RS

Yep, my paint code starts with a C. Okay, so my question for the future is: am I wasting my time and products trying to correct the paint with the PC? The car does look good, it just doesn't look like I got much correction done.

I bet I'll get some awesome results when I get around to doing the Trailblazer (might wait until it cools down, it's 95* today :ugh2:).

I'll post some pictures in a bit after I go through them all.

6. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Might wanna pick up a bottle of Meg's 105 and 205, they seem to cut better than the Optimum stuff. Maybe invest in a Flex DA, more power than the PC, but still just as safe, unless you wanna go for the gold and just buy a rotary, but that's entirely up to your comfort level.

Oh, and don't put the CMW on before the Opti-Seal, completely defeats the purpose. You should put the Opti-Seal on first, let it cure overnight, then top with CMW.

7. 91RS

I'm definately not comfortable with stepping up to a rotary yet. I'm sure I would do more harm than good. I'm not sure if I have the best technique yet.

Too late for that, the CMW is already on. I figured the Opti-Seal would make the CMW last longer.

8. Scottwax

Actually you can do it either way. Opti-Seal is fully compatible for use as a carnauba topper.

9. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Guess it's just personal preference, I like the look of the 'nuba over the sealant better, just makes it look deeper to me. Plus my thinking is I would rather have the one that lasts the longest on the bottom.

10. Scottwax

OS over CMW adds noticable wetness without losing the depth of CMW. Of course it is best to wait 24 hours and wash the car before using OC over a carnauba.

11. 91RS

Should I still wash it again even if I haven't driven the car? I was going to drive it today, but I decided not to so it didn't get dirty.

12. Scottwax

If you are going to put on another layer of CMW or put on some Opti-Seal you still need to wash it. Just a quickie with ONR would be enough. Carnaubas always top better if the car has been washed after the first application. If you just keep piling on carnaubas without washing, you tend to get a hazy look due to the oils smearing.