A&P NCAA D2 Men's Basketball Strobed/unStrobed

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hash browns, Feb 27, 2005.

1. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

Saturday - February 26th, 2005
    UCSD vs. CSU Dominguez Hills

This was the last regular season home game for UCSD's Men's Basketball.

The school's official sports department photographer was there and had some strobes set up on both sides of the court. He let me use a Pocketwizard Max for the first half.

This was my first time shooting with strobes in Rimac, and I must say it's a totally different beast. I didn't take that many pictures, as we shared channels on the Pocket Wizards and I didn't want to steal the light -- the recycle times weren't too great. Pretty much you get one shot at a time and there is a slight bit of delay when the strobes fire.

Basketball pictures look totally different when using strobes, mostly because of the isolation you get with the light -- The quality of light is also very different compared to available light shooting, you'll get shadows wether you like it or not. I personally feel that the strobed pictures can look more magazine-ish and have less a feeling of photo-journalism because of the reduced presence of spectators in the frame -- Anyhow, I'll have to shoot with strobes more often to get a better opinion on this. :dunno:

The first three pictures are with strobes, ISO200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture was taken with a wide to give you an idea of how the dramatic a difference you get with strobe lighting. The shadows can make a mundane picture interesting -- From this picture you can see where one of the strobes is located. It's like having a giant speedlite in the sky.

[​IMG]

These pictures are taken with ambient light -- Giant AC Fluorescent Lamps all over the arena. It can be tricky to have consistent exposures and white balance if you don't pay attention. The ambient light was good for ISO800-ISO1600 1/500.

This is a Mark Lewkowitz, a sophomore for the UCSD Tritons.

You can shoot at 8fps with available light, but it's very different with the strobes. When you aren't worrying about recycle times, It's * click - click - click * whenever you see something you like. With strobes, there's a little more waiting and you have to be a bit more careful -- unless you have some super expensive Elinchroms or Profotos :dunno:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was looking for pictures that people don't usually take -- Most of my pictures from tonight are shot with horizontal frames instead of vertical -- Which seems odd for basketball.

[​IMG]

Coaches always look worried and upset. It's always funny to look at the bench and just focus on the shoes.

[​IMG]

Basketball is a game of movement. Freshman Andrew Hatch is looking for someone to inbound the ball to. Pretty much everyone else in the frame is wearing red. In the second, the frame is quite different.

" Looking for a friend "
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tritons had a sixteen point deficit in the second half but had a strong comeback in the final minutes. The score was 71-72 in favor of CSU. This was the final posession of the closing seconds of the game.

Head Coach, Bill Carr gives the team its orders. He points to number 20, Mark Lewkowitz.

[​IMG]

UCSD's Parker Berling passes the ball to Mark Lewkowitz, just outside the three-point line in the corner. (This might not even be a great picture, but I like where everyone is looking -- And look at the crowd)

[​IMG]

The shot was fired with the buzzer sounding while the ball was in mid-air -- The three was good.

[​IMG]

This is my favorite thing about sports photography -- Players and Emotion. This is the second dogpile victory I've photographed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Game-winner, Mark Lewkowitz at the bottom of the pile. (Center)

[​IMG]

2. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Durrrr

Nice work but 44 needs to check his pants :eek3:
    [​IMG]

3. sony

sony Active Member

Is that the 12-24? Very :cool: pics man. I'm digging the strobe lighting. :eek3:

4. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

what camera and lense?

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

i like the strobes quite a bit

6. hash browns

It's actually the 10.5mm :mamoru:

I used a D2H with an 85mm f/1.4 and a D70 with a 10.5mm f/2.8
    :blue:

7. You rigged strobes in the ceiling??? Maybe I mis-understood you... :noes:

8. I'm likign the first 3 shots, and the wide angle dogpile pics are pretty cool, I'm sure the guys will love the dogpile ones and what the kids like... that's $$$

9. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

I think that they are installed already and he just was able to control them. I have always wondered how that works.

hash browns, care to elaborate?

10. hash browns

Rimac is an arena, and there's a catwalk all the way above the main court. Another photographer rigged up strobes on the catwalk, pointed down at the court. He let me use one of his pocketwizards to share his strobes for the first half of the game.

11. CRC

CRC New Member

What's a pocketwizard :hsugh:

Awesome pics. Freezing action is cool. I love photographing basketball, even though I've never really had the right equipment or seat to do it. I've only used a buddies digital rebel and a crappy 70-300 5.6 lens :hs: I got more pics of the cheerleaders then the game :rofl:

12. mojito

mojito New Member

pocket waizrds are a device that wirelessly control a lighting source. they are very expensive but very powerful tools. Canon has a similar device called the ST-E2 that can control flashes and strobes via IR from the camera for a much smaller price point, or if the main contoler for the lighting source is close, a 550ex or 580ex speedlite used as a master with the flash turned off can do the same.

you aren't allowed to use flashes on camera in an arena, so ceiling strobes are the best alternative. Most arenas now have them built in, but then you're sharing them with any other photographers

you can see inthe pictures how much strobes help, much better and more even illumination, and faster shutter speeds accordingly. In the ambient light ones you can see the noise in the shadow areas and with the longer shutter speeds you can't stop the action as well.

13. hash browns

Neither Canon or Nikon wireless flash control is really going to be useful in a arena, nor are they comparable to pocket wizards -- as the Canon and Nikon basically use optical-slave technology -- flashes used to control flashes, while Pocket Wizards use radio frequencies to trigger the flash sync voltages.

Strobes have their ups and downs -- Generally, you will be able to take fewer pictures unless you have some high end strobe equipment like Elinchroms -- and even then, you probably won't have the whole arena strobed up. I guess you could carry two bodies, one with the wizards and one for available light.

Noise in shadow areas will exist any time you at ISO sensitivities beyond your baseline, or around ISO200 -- The difference is in how cameras or people hide it with contrast curves, built in noise reduction or how they pull more details out of the shadows to even out an image's overall look or contrast.

Anyways, the wide shots at the end are all ISO1600, 1/250 @ f/2.8 and pushed by at least one stop in some parts of the image.

14. mojito

mojito New Member

I didn't say it was the same, just showing that there are similarities. Pocket wizards are much better, but are more than the average person wants to spend. Depending on how the stadium is setup, IR can work. I know that a St-E2 can be used in the UCSB to trigger their strobes.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  15. hash browns

You're right.

One of the problems with optical slave triggering is the effect of other flashes from the stands that are likely to set your own flashes off. :dunno:

I see parents with their cameras flashes at every game.

There is probably a little more delay with an optical trigger than with a radio trigger as well :dunno:

16. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

that wide angle shot reminds me of the olympic stadium type shots. Nice work!

17. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I noticed all the strobe going off during last night's laker game ( kobe was an idiot :rolleyes: ). Do all the photographers there use the same strobes? And I think I saw a couple of them use flashes.

18. CRC

CRC New Member

so are these strobes like really big flashes? Don't they distract the players?