GUN NBA's David Stern on firearms

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by san408, Oct 26, 2006.

1. san408

san408 New Member

Associated Press
    NEW YORK (AP) - David Stern understands having a gun to protect your home. He's not convinced carrying one on the streets makes you any safer.

For that reason, the NBA commissioner said Wednesday that he would prefer his players leave their firearms behind when they go out.

"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said during his preseason conference call. "We think this is an alarming subject, that although you'll read players saying how they feel safer with guns, in fact those guns actually make them less safe. And it's a real issue."

It's one that was raised recently when Indiana's Stephen Jackson shot a gun in the air at least five times outside an Indianapolis strip club on Oct. 6. He originally told police he fired in self-defense during a fight in which he was hit by a car.

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement allows players to own licensed guns, but they can't carry them on any league or team business. Asked what kind of firearm rule he would want if collective bargaining weren't involved, Stern said: "I would favor being able to have a firearm to protect your home. Period."

He added that walking the streets carrying guns was "dangerous for our players," but said there has been no further discussion with the union about strengthening the policy.

Union spokesman Dan Wasserman said it already was bolstered in last year's agreement, at the request of the league.

"In response to issues raised by the NBA during bargaining last year," he said, "a provision was added to the collective bargaining agreement that subjects the players to discipline if they bring any kind of firearm, even if it's licensed, to an NBA arena, practice facility, or even a team or league* offsite promotional appearance."
    Wasserman also said that the dangers of firearms are discussed during the rookie transition program, where players are "informed of the legalities of it, what you can or can't do, and the pros of cons of having a weapon are discussed extensively."

:ugh: :squint: Maybe they should address the mindset of their "employees" rather than the dangers of firearms.

Heres's the link I got this from:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6099626?FSO1&ATT=HMA

2. Furner

Furner New Member

you can take the baller out of the ghetto......

3. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i hate david stern almost as much as bud selig. hes a piece of shit. he always gets booed when he starts talking too.

4. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

That's such a misrepresentation of "statistics"

IF more people get shot while carrying guns than while not carrying guns, I highly doubt it's BECAUSE they were carrying a gun that they got shot. Come one, thats just rediculous.

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Soldiers carry guns and they get shot all the time. So do cops. I'm sure that if you looked at the statistics then more soldiers and cops get shot than average citizens :dunno:.

6. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

How about if those that normally carry guns didnt? Im sure thier death rate would increase a bit. :mamoru:

7. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

It's David Stern, who gives a fuck

8. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

:werd: They certainly hate to mention circumstances and crap like that. If a burglar breaks into my home and has a gun on him then he's a lot more likely to get shot than if he drops to the ground immediately and begs me for mercy as soon as he hears me coming :mamoru:.

9. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

Because chances are, there are more criminals carrying guns then people carrying with permits.. so the criminals with guns are getting shot by the permitted people.. He is just upset because he falls into the criminals with guns catagory.. If only criminals had guns then the law abiding people wouldnt shoot him when he robbed them..

10. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :rofl:

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fuck him I dont give a shit what some NBA player thinks, or any sports athlete or actor for that matter your job is to entertain me I dont give a fuck about your stupid political views.

12. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

unless of course he is progun..