NAVY

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by knucks, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knucks

knucks Active Member

Anyone in it/was in it?

I am about to graduate with a Psych degree, don't know what the fuck I want to do with my life, so, considering the Navy.

How's it all work? I'd be joining as an officer if I get through the training?

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Buddy joined the Navy on the Dive Medic track, flunked out of dive school due to not training to be a swimmer his whole life, ended up as a navy corpsman and got shot at in iraq a lot.

If you don't mind being deployed in a warzone the military is an awesome choice IMO.

3. knucks

knucks Active Member

Heh.
    I'd be looking most likely at Public Affairs

edit: I probably won't do the NAVY, parents would hate it too much as well. But heck, seeing what is out there.

4. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

you can't get a public affairs job that doesn't put you in a warzone?

5. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

If you want to do public affairs, don't join the military. You will have a much more enjoyable life just getting a regular job.

6. nrgyserboy

nrgyserboy New Member

join the air force. yeah yeah i know we're the softest service out of all the military services but we get taken care of better too. I hardly get deployed in my career field and definitely go officer if you have all the requirements. Enlisted folks don't get paid enough for the work they do sometimes.

7. Reign

Reign Banned

I'm a Rescue Swimmer and Electronics Technician in the Navy...

I fucking hate this prison sentence and I don't do shit most of the time. My Rescue Swimmer job is fairly straight forward, and my ET job if my equipment isn't broken I don't really do anything. That said, I'd rather work at McDonalds the rest of my life than put up with the bullshit here. Granted I'm enlisted, but I know plenty of officers who feel the same as me. I get out in a few days more than 2 years and I can't wait. It's just... everything you have to put up with. .

We're deployed right now, been out here since Jan. 2nd and gonna be here until the end of July. I'm going nuts... I have to see/work with/hang out with the same people EVERY day.

Don't do it man... even as an officer. You can do better.

8. nrgyserboy

nrgyserboy New Member

haha damn you sound as miserable as me. Yeah, sometimes the job fuckin blows and you feel like that scene from the movie groundhog's day. I hate my job as well but working at McDonalds for the rest of your life? Hahahaha... i think not.

9. Memor

Memor Active Member

My buddy tried out for the SEALS but failed out of his 2nd phase of BUDS. Now he's stuck on a boat for the next 3 years and completely fucking hates his life

10. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

just out of curiosity, wondering if you'd expound on that. not looking to change careers any time soon, but i'm always intrigued by the mixed bag of emotions people have about military life

11. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

:rofl: certainly encouraging as I'm trying to do the same thing as knucks was.

12. Memor

Memor Active Member

This is basically verbatim what my friend says to me about his time there every week :rofl:

13. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

way i figure it, it's a job in the navy, or a job where I surf OT all day.

14. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

go coast guard

15. knucks

knucks Active Member

looks like no navy for knucks haha

16. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

if you're seriously considering it, I wouldn't make a final decision based on one thread. I mean I can't really speak for it, but I can imagine life on a boat for 6 months would be incredibly painful. From what I've been told and gathered though the difference between officer/enlisted is night and day. The way I look at it is that if I do go in, I'm young and it's 4 years of my life (unless you get called from inactive duty) and when you get out you have naval officer on your resume which depending on your field could be invaluable.

17. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

plus they have weightrooms on the bigger ships. I'll get huge like them negroes in jail :bowdown:

18. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

definitely go Air Force...

Unless you're a pilot or security forces it's basically like working at a corporate job but you get a snazzy baby blue shirt to wear everyday.

19. Reign

Reign Banned

Well, it's a lot of stuff. The quality of life is just so terrible. Many enlisted people are underpaid for the work and amount of work they do.

Everyone is pretty much baby sat their entire carreer. I get it Navy, don't drink and drive... do I really need to do the same 2 hour long training 8 times a freaking year or after some idiot gets a DWI (which happens on a weekly basis on a ship the size of a carrier).

We get to "see the world"... the only part of the world I've seen is Portugal, United Arab Emirates (Dubai/Jebel Ali) and Bahrain... and this is my 3rd deployment.

Our medical sucks ass. Talk about half assed doctors... the Navy's answer for everything is 400mg tablets of Motrin. I couldn't walk after getting hit in the calve by a baseball and swelling up so bad I lost circulation in my foot. THEY STILL made me come to work instead of letting me go to the hospital. This was when we were in the ship yards and it is quite literally a mile walk from the parking lot to where the ship is at. Oh, and lets not forget about no sick days.

Lets see... this is my friends I'll talk about. The Navy CONSTANTLY says they will do something and don't. The most offending example I have is a good friend of mine is married military. She's on my ship, her husband is on another after cross branching from the Army. They were told that one of them would always be stationed at shore duty so they could take care of their kids. Well, we are deployment and his is out here with us. THeir kids are staying at a very generous friend of their's in New York. They've tried everything to get the Navy to change this, it hasn't done shit.

The Navy on paper sounds good... when put into practice... idiots run it that don't care about their worker's morale and quite literally in some cases work their people in 24 hour shifts (A friend of mine in Reactor hasn't slept in two days as of speaking to him this afternoon).

20. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Only reason to join the military in my mind is to possibly get some trigger time. Go Army or Marines. Navy seems boring as hell to me and the airforce probably wont take you. lol

Military retirement + a regular job is the easiest way to make gauranteed 6 figures a year+ even for retards.

21. Reign

Reign Banned

I will admit that is the ONE thing I do love about the Navy... I pretty much can work out as much as I want, when ever I want. Heck, they expect you to stay in shape...

22. knucks

knucks Active Member

Why wouldn't the Air Force take me?
    edit: because i'm too heavy? lol.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  23. Reign

Reign Banned

Oh, I almost forgot... we were deployed from Feb 2009 until late July 2009? Well, we're deployed... AGAIN... 5 months after that one. Sorry to repeat myself but... Been out since Jan 2nd and will remain out here until the end of July. Hurray of 5 months of home port, a month of which we we were at sea doing deployment work-ups. Didn't even get to see my family last year....

24. knucks

knucks Active Member

In addition:
    I am fluent in Russian. Wherever this is in high demand would be cool too.

25. Ep

Ep Guest

no med school?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.