MIL Navy SEAL falls on grenade to save comrades....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sharkticon, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

*repost disclaimer*

Navy SEAL falls on grenade to save comrades
    By THOMAS WATKINS, Associated Press
    October 14, 2006

CORONADO, Calif. - A Navy SEAL sacrificed his life to save his comrades by throwing himself on top of a grenade Iraqi insurgents tossed into their sniper hideout, fellow members of the elite force said.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor had been near the only door to the rooftop structure Sept. 29 when the grenade hit him in the chest and bounced to the floor, said four SEALs who spoke to The Associated Press this week on condition of anonymity because their work requires their identities to remain secret.

[​IMG]
    2004 photo provided by the U.S. Navy shows Navy SEAL Michael A. Monsoor
    on a cold-weather training mission in Kodiak, Alaska.

"He never took his eye off the grenade, his only movement was down toward it," said a 28-year-old lieutenant who sustained shrapnel wounds to both legs that day. "He undoubtedly saved mine and the other SEALs' lives, and we owe him."

Monsoor, a 25-year-old gunner, was killed in the explosion in Ramadi, west of Baghdad. He was only the second SEAL to die in Iraq since the war began.

Two SEALs next to Monsoor were injured; another who was 10 to 15 feet from the blast was unhurt. The four had been working with Iraqi soldiers providing sniper security while U.S. and Iraqi forces conducted missions in the area.

Monsoor's heroism did not surprise those who knew him, said Patrick Barnes, one of his best friends in Orange County.

"That's just the kind of guy he was," Barnes said. "That's how far he would go to protect the lives of his friends and teammates." At one level, Barnes said, he wished Monsoor hadn't done it.

"It's just a selfish thought. I want my friend back," he said. "But the thought that he did this to save the lives of others gives me comfort." He and other friends had hoped to throw a welcome-home bash for Monsoor to coincide with Halloween, his favorite holiday.

Barnes said the reaction of Monsoor's fellow SEALs at the funeral service Thursday in San Diego was touching.

"The men Mike had saved were married and had families," Barnes said. "(Monsoor) had no doubts about what he had to do although it cost him his life."

In an interview at the SEALs' West Coast headquarters in Coronado, four members of the special force remembered "Mikey" as a loyal friend and a quiet, dedicated professional.

"He was just a fun-loving guy," said a 26-year-old petty officer 2nd class who went through the grueling 29-week SEAL training with Monsoor. "Always got something funny to say, always got a little mischievous look on his face."

Other SEALS described the Garden Grove, Calif., native as a modest and humble man who drew strength from his family and his faith. His father and brother are former Marines, said a 31-year-old petty officer 2nd class.

Prior to his death, Monsoor had already demonstrated courage under fire. He has been posthumously awarded the Silver Star for his actions May 9 in Ramadi, when he and another SEAL pulled a team member shot in the leg to safety while bullets pinged off the ground around them.

Monsoor's funeral was held Thursday at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego. He has also been submitted for an award for his actions the day he died.

[​IMG]
    Michael Monsoor, center

The first Navy SEAL to die in Iraq was Petty Officer 2nd Class Marc A. Lee, 28, who was killed Aug. 2 in a firefight while on patrol against insurgents in Ramadi. Navy spokesman Lt. Taylor Clark said the low number of deaths among SEALs in Iraq is a testament to their training.

Sixteen SEALs have been killed in Afghanistan. Eleven of them died in June 2005 when a helicopter was shot down near the Pakistan border while ferrying reinforcements for troops pursuing al-Qaida militants.

There are about 2,300 of the elite fighters, based in Coronado and Little Creek, Va.

The Navy is trying to boost that number by 500 — a challenge considering more than 75 percent of candidates drop out of training, notorious for "Hell Week," a five-day stint of continual drills by the ocean broken by only four hours sleep total. Monsoor made it through training on his second attempt.

2. FD929

FD929 New Member

A better man than me.
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Silver Star? That's it? Give this guy the MoH.

4. shiba

shiba Active Member

i don't think he met the requirements for the MoH.

5. teep

teep New Member

6. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/MedalofHonorCriteria.htm

seems like a candidate to me

7. JSin

JSin New Member

He got the silver star for a previous engagement, I'm sure he'll be considered for the MoH for this action.

8. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I think he will be considered for sure!:noes:

9. KilgoreTrout19D

KilgoreTrout19D New Member

Medals = overrated.

Remembering this guy with respect and passing the story along to other soldiers = FTW

10. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

what are you, gay?

11. MykolJ

MykolJ New Member

12. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

That is a large part of the Medal of Honor process. :ugh:

13. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

who's this KilgoreTrout19Dguy?

14. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

that is so amazing, the leiutenant interviewed in the article seemed kind of a-holish...

15. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I am sure it would be something his family would be extremely proud of and hold on tightly to.

16. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com