MIL Navy people

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kendan, Jul 7, 2009.

1. kendan

kendan New Member

my gf has a friend in the Navy. She joined right out of high school and they were talking recently and since my gf has graduated college (about 1 1/2 years ago) she hasn't found a well paying job and she has applied to many. They were talking and now she is thinking of joining, and she asked me if I would be interested. I am still in school and have a year or so left, my gf graduated early, and I don't know what would be a smart move. Keep going to school or join, because I always wanted to join when I got out of high school but my gf thought it wasn't too good of an idea, go figure.

Anyway, these are probably questions that could be answered in the sticky or by a recruiter I just wanted to get it off my chest and see what you guys thought. How hard is the basic training? Would the navy help pay for some of my school? Im 21 right now and my gf is 22 we have no kids and nothing to really tie us down here, but it's a pretty big decision for me and I'm kind of excited.

if these are questions that have already been answered you can delete this thread. This is all kind of sudden to me since my gf has had no prior enthusiasm to join the navy.

2. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

i don't know...
    are you going in as enlisted and your gf going in as an officer? if so, it would make it harder for both of you. Also, did you guy ever think about what's going to happen after you join? what if both of you get stationed somewhere different? things like these will make it harder for you to decide

3. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

Sounds like shes living your life for you, just go ahead and ask her what to do!

4. Julius

Julius Guest

Finish school, don't fucking enlist, and see where it takes you.

Here's what can happen:

1. You enlist, you and her go separate ways, a penis other than your own goes into her vagina (vice versa etc), and drama ensues. Oh, and you'll be enlisted, which sucks dick.

2. You don't enlist, finish school, maybe join when you're done with school as an officer. There is a slight possibility of your penis taking precedence over others. The chances of being stationed together will probably be better, because you can be a military civilian husband/married occiferz have a better chance.

Yeah, something like that.

5. kendan

kendan New Member

We were thinking of getting married or something before enlisting, since we had heard you can "co-locate". We've been together for 5+ years, so we have talked about getting married anyway.

Since she has finished her degree, can she do the Officer Candidate School right away?

Also, she has about eight grand in school loans, and she was wondering about the Loan Repayment Program.

Do they usually give a cash bonus to enlist?

What would be the minimum commitment for us?

We were thinking of getting married then joining as a couple. Let me know what you think of it, we're just looking for some honest opinions.

6. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

the loan repayment program no longer exists

cash bonuses are drying up save for a few select ratings

7. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

swcc, nukes - are those tough undesireable jobs?

8. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

does being a nuclear officer play any part in having the opportunity to captain a vessel?
    is it a requisite for captaining nuclear vessels?

9. Isamu

Isamu New Member

join the air force *shrug*

10. spook

spook OT Supporter

A Candidate in my platoon at OCS this summer had a girlfriend in the same company, they plan on getting married but will probably have a very difficult time regardless. I say forget it, especially since you sound like you're doing it more or less out of necessity.

11. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

:rofl:

Don't fuck Navy women.

12. als54

als54 OT Supporter

+1

13. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

what's this suppose to mean?

14. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

What is hard to understand about it?

15. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

It seems like they're a hidden meaning.

16. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

You are almost 100% Guaranteed to NEVER have a full command (i.e. boat - sub or carrier, or an actual base) for your billet if you ever reach high enough to be classified as a CO, as a Nuke Officer. So the only "play" being a Nuke Officer has in opportunity to "captain a veseel" is that it negates you from doing so. Nukes are too valued to ever be able to move away from that field and go into a line where they can CO a boat.

And no, being a Nuke Officer is not required to be a CO of a nuclear powered vessel. There is a ROO (Reactor Operations Officer) on every Nuclear Powered sub/carrier in the fleet who reports directly to the CO and has final say on anything Nuclear-Powered related, sometimes going above the CO since the CO usually has no to little nuclear training.

Nuke ratings are hard to achieve due to high ASVAB scores needed. Also, to be a Nuke Officer, you need something Nuclear related for your Bachelors. So most likely, for you, the Nuke field is out.

And like others said, there's no longer a "loan" program unless you're going in for specific rates. And like others have said, you have to be prepaired to be seperated. I don't care who told you what, there is a 1% chance of you being stationed at the same place, even if you WERE married. This is another reason why the Navy's divorce rate is so freakin' high. Higher then the Army's.

17. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Couple of corrections, being a sub nuke myself.
    1. You DO have to be a Nuke Officer to command a Submarine. No ifs about it. Even Our Weapons Officer, who happens to not be a nuke, can never take command of our ship.

2. Subs don't have ROO's. We have Engineering Officers(ENG)

3. You don't really need that high of an ASVAB, I've seen nukes with mid-70s scores.

4. You do not need a nuclear related degree to be a nuke officer. As a matter of fact, I don't think any of the nuke officers on my ship have nuclear related degrees. The only one that comes to mind is the one who has a modern history degree.

18. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

what do you guys think of the areas of supply,and technology warfare?