MIL Navy people tell me about these rates...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DSHR, May 4, 2007.

1. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

It's about that time for me to put in a package for an "A" school. And I test for E-4 this September.

My qualified job list is pretty heavy in Aviation :dunno:. Here are the rates I can test for and or put package in: AO, ABF, ABH, AM, AD, AME, MM, and BU. The command career counceler here kind of sucks.

We have a helo det. onboard. I'm going to talk to a few of the guys but any other insight would be helpful :x:.

2. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I can give you a look at those rates from the Hornet community. It's different in other platforms, and you aren't guaranteed that until after "A" school, so.... on to the good stuff.

AB - All AB rates are boatswains, you'll remain a boat chuck. They're the 'directors' on the flight deck and in the hangar bay, the fuelies that fuel jets all day and the cat/arresting gear guys. Not my kind of job but if doing repetitive shit over and over in a shitty environment for no thanks whatsoever is your thing, go with it.

AO - They load ordnance, maintain racks/the gun, etc. Busy job, they're the first on the line in the morning loading shit and they're out there all day. You'll meet some interesting folks, ordies are a special breed. If you go in on the boat side, you'll work in the magazines, don't know in detail what they do. Build weapons I guess.

AM - Airframers work on the hydraulic and structural parts of the aircraft. If you're good with tools and like to work, it's a great rate.

AD - Mechs (powerplants) work on the engines and the fuel system. Lots of JP-5.

AME - Ejection seat techs. Not a bad job but not too much to do, they always get called for FOD searches in the cockpit. Sucks for them :mamoru:

The other rates I'll leave to other folks as I don't have much experience with them. Aviation is not a bad side of the navy, we don't go to the boat near as much as the rest of you, but it's loud and dirty and the flight schedule never ends.

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

No offense to anyone here if they are an AO, I speak only of experience with the ones on my boat. They arn't the brightest of the bunch. If I were to pick the dumbest rate (undesignated deck isnt a rate!) I'd go with AO. Unless you're on a carrier you wont be loading missles & bombs. You'll be inventorying & cleaning magazine compartments all day. You really don't build weapons, they come pre-built.

MM is engineering, fuck that. 120 degrees ouch :( I'll stick to my air conditioned space.

4. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

MM= Machinists Mate

This encompasses quite a few ratings now. It used to be purely mechanics either Conventional or Nuclear. The conventionals are responsible for ships laundry, dishwashers, boilers, Diesel engines, air scrubbers, O2 generators etc. Nuclear are responsible for the Turbines, Condensors etc and propulsion systems etc.

The new ratings that were incorporated into MM back in the 90's were TM (Torpedoman's Mate) and MT (Missile Tech). I think BT (Boiler Tech) was also included in the rate combine.

If you don't like being dirty, greasy, hot and sweaty and stinking of lube oil or diesel fumes then MM is NOT the rating for you.

5. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

BU = SeaBee Builder.

6. Valafar

Valafar Active Member

Yeah BT's were tossed in as well. MM also does HVAC stuff, main engine(s)and run the freshwater plants.

7. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

i'd recommend AM. you'll make a decent chunk of change when you get out. or if you wanna go to iraq, go BU. you'll get to build shit while people are lobbing mortars at you.

8. Annimal

Annimal New Member

BU if you want to make a career out of it and never see a boat. Seabees are a different bunch, a small dysfunctional family.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  9. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

my father is a retired Seabee:o

10. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

The advancement to E4 isn't to great for these rates.

Cycle 191/192
    BU 54.90/79.90​
    AM 12.27/10.31
    AD 85.71/13.27

I think I'm going to drop two packages this week for BU and AD.

11. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

another good aviation maintenance rate is AS. aviation support equipment technician.

we work on diesel engines, transmissions, chassis and powertrain, hydraulic systems, mobile motor generators, mobile electric power plants, cryogenic systems, stationary and mobile air conditioning systems, and some welding as well. basically every piece of yellow or white ground support equipment you see on a ship/shore station we work on.