MIL Navy Peeps

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by andres4514, Dec 14, 2009.

1. andres4514

andres4514 Active Member

I'm going for my physical, and sign my contract this Tuesday and i was thinking on doing either AS Or AD. Any of you guys have any experience with this rating? how's it like?. Any advice would Be great as far as ratings go. BTW i am not a citizen.

2. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

i was AD before...
    AD is a good rate but you will definitely work a lot and get dirty.
    i don't know about now but when i was enlisted, AD rate was pretty full and advancing was very difficult.

3. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Anything Aviation related is going to be rather difficult to get into simply based on the fact that that's the majority of the jobs IN the Navy (surprise surprise!). AD, AS, AE, AT & AZ are all going to be slow in advancement simply based on the number of people who hold rank in those rates. And right now, no one's really getting out.

If Aviation is really the area you want to go into, see if you can get it. The A School isn't bad, I believe all Aviation A-Schools are located in Pensacola. I don't have first hand experience with Aviation, although my former neighbor is an AD1. She's also done overseas assignments (USS Kitty Hawk) and been in close to 10 years.

Is there any other area you're interested in? I wouldn't sign a contract unless you get your A-School (your job, bascially) IN WRITING. There's a little game they like to play called "GTEP". It's where you go in more or less unassigned, with it "guaranteed" that you'll get into the A-School you've designated in your contract within 18 months. FYI, that's BS because no one who G-Teps ever gets their designated A-School. That "guarantee" is based off of how many senior enlisted (meaning basically anyone who's been in longer then you) also want to get into that school, how many new recruits are going in with that particular school and rating already assigned to them, etc etc etc.

Whatever you do, do not let them give you a "GTEP" type of contract. Seriously.

4. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

I'm an AS3.

Yes all of the aviation A-Schools are in Pensacola, FL. The aviation community in the Navy is the worst field to get into right now and in the near future, by far for the simple fact that advancement is practically non-existant past E5. And in some rates like AD, is almost impossible even to make that without taking the test five times, scoring high and having good evals. I would seriously consider looking elsewhere. It's not going to get better anytime soon. As for the work, if you like automotive stuff AS is great. I've done a lot and learned a lot fast. If I had to go back in time three years ago before I joined though...and did my research...I would have picked something in the surface community.

If you can meet the requirements, go intel. CT or IS.

5. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

non citizen ain't gettin a ts clearance. i couldn't even get one because i had lived in mexico. i soooo wanted IS too.

try AC (air traffic controller). advancement is decent up to E6. or at least it was. fair warning though, controllers are douchebags that only look out for #1. i know, i cross rated to it after 4 years of being an OS.

6. andres4514

andres4514 Active Member

Well most of the "good" ratings require me to be a citizen, I really want to join but I don't want to be misserable with a shitty job. Also, do I have to sign my contract right after my physical?

7. andres4514

andres4514 Active Member

I'm also not shipping until June since I need to graduate school first so maybe the chance of me getting those jobs will be greater? What other jobs do u guys recommend that won't require citizenship?

8. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

The answer: NO. You do NOT have sign a contract immediately after the physical. Be strong, be smart. If they are not going to offer you a Rate that you want or are interested in, DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT. That's another thing with the GTEP contracts. The'll say "oh, well there's no openings for that at the moment, but we'll set you up with the Guaranteed Entry Program and you'll be able to go right into that after your first 12-18 months".

If they aren't giving you a contract that you like, do not sign it just to get in. Things change month to month, so you can have your recruiter check every couple of weeks to see what ratings have become available. Just because your physical is done and you're cleared does NOT mean you have to sign your life away.

No, your chance at getting those jobs (in Aviation) is not going to change closer to June. If anything, it will get less or the same. A LOT of people go into Basic during June & July because they're going in right out of HS (like yourself) AND the smart ones know that Basic is located just off a Great Lake (hence why the base itself is called Great Lakes) and winter there is a bitch. Although it's supposedly not so bad anymore now that they've torn down all the old buildings and your class rooms, galley and barracks are located in one building :rolleyes: (touchy feely military, I tell ya).

I'm not sure of all the ratings that don't require citizenship.

Clever - why did your living in Mexico inhibit your ability to get a TS clearance? I'm just curious 'cuz my SO was born in the US, but lived in S Korea (his Mother's homeland) for 6 years and he has a TS :dunno: I don't know if that's also because he lived on a Military Base in SK or not.

9. andres4514

andres4514 Active Member

I
    I'm looking at MM rating right now, any input on that?

10. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Conventional MM, I take it?

11. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

If it's conventional...longer hours than ANYONE else on the ship, you work on the 5th or 6th deck, it's hot as motherfucking BALLS in your workspace, dirty, grimy work but it's not thankless. At least on the ships I've been on. Engineers get more fucking praise than anyone else. It's warranted though, they work their asses off keeping the ship running.

Advancement is...meh. Not impossible, but you need to be a stud.

12. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Put it this way...I would pick MM over AS any day of the week. Also look into GSM. You might like that.

13. clever_username

that's probably it. they have to know everywhere you lived for like the past 10 or 15 years, and people who knew you there. I didn't have any addresses or contact numbers.

14. clever_username

ooh, look into DC and GSE too.

15. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

That doesn't sound right for a Conventional MM. Are you sure they weren't talking Nuclear MM?? You don't have to be a Citizen, but eligable for a Secret Clearance. Giving the address and people who knew you for 10-15 years is a Nuke-sounding requirement (my Husband is a Nuclear ET). Also be forwarned, if you're going to go into the Nuke field, you are the first one on the boat, the last one off. You work when no one else does and put up with shit like this: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4384835

Also, there's more Nuclear MM's then there are Nuclear EM's and ET's, so advancement is a little harder as an MM. School is also 1.5 years AT LEAST, can be delayed if there's issues with your security clearance. If you wanna know more, let me know.

16. clever_username

dude, i was trying to get IS. couldn't get TS, so i ended up going OS.

and i got a 49 on the nuke test :mamoru: dude came in and said "based on your asvab score, you're probably gonna fail this..." oh, thanks for the vote of confidence.

and all this happened 12 years ago

17. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Nuke test? People who are looked at for Nukes are looked at based solely on the ASVAB, there is no test specifically for Nukes - at least, not in the last 8 years. It's based off of the ASVAB, ACT scores, whether or not you can get clearance and then how you do in the first round of three schools.

I still don't understand how your living in Mexico could affect your ability to get a the proper clearance. My SO has a TS and only a Secret clearance is required to be a Nuke. The only time you need a TS is when you work in Special Ops, Crypto, Seals, etc. Some of IS needs a TS, but not everyone.

18. andres4514

andres4514 Active Member

ok i made a decision and im going either GSE or AME thanks for the advice guys.

19. clever_username

they looked at how well i did in the math portion of the asvab. he said i'd probably fail the nuke test they give at meps because i suck at math. it was like 100 questions, nothing but polynominals and shit. i didn't really wanna be a nuke anyway, i wanted to be in intel.

it all had to do with my background check. they couldn't verify my wherabouts for the 8 months i lived in mexico, so no TS clearance. with a secret clearance, they only went back like 3 or 4 years i think.

20. clever_username

a little advice: study hard in school, there'll be plenty of time to party when you're in australia. try to get top of your class, you may get to pick your first duty station.

GO TO A BURKE CLASS DESTROYER. dont try to go to shore duty, and don't go to a carrier, amphib, or tico. burke's are hands down the best ships in the navy. do three years there and you should come out an E5

21. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

THIS, ALL OF THIS

22. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Yes, there is a nuclear aptitude test you can take if you score high enough on the ASVAB. If you look on your ASVAB test sheet with all your scores per category you will see it. I'm looking at mine right now to be certain.

Most SEALs have just a secret clearance, some who work with SDV's and DEVGRU require a TS. And every single IS has to have a Top Secret.

23. andres4514

andres4514 Active Member

Will do, thanks for the advice!

24. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Huh. I was never aware of that (I didn't take the nuke test myself but my SO is a Nuke). Learn something new everyday.

I thought only certain levels of IS had to have a TS :dunno:

25. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

become a rescue swimmer