MIL Navy peeps

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by saosko, Jun 17, 2009.

1. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

I've been contemplating the navy for some time now, passed the asvab and physical but still not sure if I want to commit, pros and cons? which navy jobs would provide the best experience?

(I have full sleeves, and most of my upper/lower body is tattooed, navy was the only branch to even consider accepting me)

2. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Already have signed wavers.

Parents, no.. well one isn't they are Canadian. I have a dual citizenship, Canadian and American. Some past misdemenor battery charges but no drug or felony convictions.

3. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Oh hmm, well they did give me 2 scores, the other one was 83.

TS clearance?

The battery charges were just simple battery, I have a few though.

4. burn__

burn__ New Member

TS = Top Secret

are the battery charges against anyone in your family?

5. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

No, mostly random bar/drunken fights that I've gotten into. Spent the night or two in jail, some community service.

6. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Don't tell me that US is worried about good ol Canadia.. Promise they won't invade anytime soon haha

7. gaara46

gaara46 OT Supporter

not to hijack ur topic. but i came back from my recruiter and he said the navy has really tightened up on who they accept. i have a misdeamanor vandalism which was initially written down as a felony by the cop, then lowered to misd. in court. he said that could be enough to not let me in but hes checking and is gonna let me kno by next week. (i would imagine the same thing could apply to OP if his was felony at first but then later dropped down)

can sum1 shed some light on that?

8. teabagn

teabagn New Member

The Navy is fully manned, some recruiters don't want to deal with it when they have fully qualified people wanting to enlist that don't require any extra work. Of course some are more then willing to deal/work with waivers.

As for the OP, do you like the medical field? Consider being a field medic for the Marines? They are called Corpsmen in the Navy, awesome rating. Thats what I'm DEPd in for :) Of course there are many sub specialties for the HM rating, but I want to go green :big grin:

9. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

My recruiter told me as long as I don't have any felony convictions (i have 1 charged felony) or drug charges that there will be no problem. I've too heard they are tightening up though, all military branches are filling up thanks to this shitty economy.

10. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

They are tightening up because we don't need anymore x felons in our Navy. We want people who have respect for the law, not break it. Honestly you don't seem ready for a honorable job like the Navy. Our govt wants our citizens to think of our sailors as honorable law biding people, not felons.

Navy is involved in helping regular citizens all the time. I don't want to know that some x felon is helping my family or I and having to watch our back. Sorry it's the truth, you screwed up so deal with it. It's the reason why the rest of us are law biding citizens.

11. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Wtf are you talking about? Did you not read that I already have signed waivers? Get the broom stick out of your ass.

And just to clarify, I was never convicted.. so technically not a felon. Pretty obvious you have never even looked at Navy history.

12. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Under normal circumstances you wouldn't have issues getting in, but the military has a surge of people trying to get in. When the choices are between someone that requires waivers and the recruiter would have to fight to get in, versus someone that walks in with a clean record, no tats, and is as easy as signing some paperwork... the latter will always win.

13. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

The recruiter in my area was backing me to get in, he's an old school sailor, bunch of ink. Cool guy.

14. bacdo

bacdo New Member

I was an FC for 6 years, probably the best job that you can get.. Honestly ask anyone that's been to the fleet - FC's have it made. I was CIWS so my clearance only needed to be secret. I'm not sure if that will be a problem for you though.

15. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Meh, I'm going in as an E2 so hopefully I'll get to 4 in somewhat decent time? I'm planning on doing my 5 anyways, but we'll see if maybe I want to career it. I'm putting in my DEP Action Request form to leave before my set date after my birthday in early August. I may put in for IS, but I'm really wanting to stick to HM.

16. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

HM? FC? E3?

:ugh:

I'm lost.

17. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

HM = corpsman rate. you are the 'doc' enlisted wise. you wont be doing huge surgery in a hospital, but you'll do routine stuff.

FC = fire controllman. you fire guns, launch missiles, operate radar, etc.

E3 = E3... the rank. in the navy advancement from E1 to E3 is based on time. everyone makes those ranks as long as they dont screw up. advancement to E4 is based off a test, your eval score, award points, etc all added up together. you get an overall score, and if you score higher than some magic number the navy comes out with, you are advanced. for certain rates it is quite high of a number, which means barely any people make it. HM for example takes a lot to make E4, takes an act of god to make E5.

18. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

x2 ftw

19. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

thx :)

FC sounds awesome. I hope I don't get stuck being a cook though :rofl:

20. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Looks like I have some research to do.

Thx for all the input. :wiggle:

21. bacdo

bacdo New Member

lolz

FC is a good rate.. I mean you learn a ton of shit. As for CIWS, it is a good system - and for the most part fun to work on!

22. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

That and 99.9% of FC's have never actually launched anything, and will never launch anything in their careers.

CIWS techs at least get to do pac fires every now and then.

23. dferriola

dferriola New Member

It all depends on making rank as a HM, the guy i work with made e-5 in little more than three years and we are psych techs, even more notorious than regular corpsman to not make any rank

24. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Ha thanks for the advice, I just may take it, glad I got a little time on my hands to think. And that would be awesome if you would show me that... PMing you now :)

25. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

IT ftw.

IT = Information Systems Technician.

No offense to IS's but I have no real respect for them. Shit, I have two guys that sit right next to me on watch that have been in 4 years and are E-6's.

Pay is nice and shit but don't expect any respect.

Sounds stupid to think of it cause in the end..it's the money. I'm highly considering doing STA-21 just so that I can get that O1-E pay.

Oh and Navy ftw. Good choice.

Take a look at what you REALLY want to do and then get a job listing. I'll help you with anything you question with as well.

Oh and I know the Seabees like the back of my hand--they are the construction side of the navy.