MIL Navy Peeps

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by teabagn, Mar 11, 2009.

1. teabagn

teabagn New Member

How do you guys like it, I was going Air Force, but had a change of heart and am liking the Navy a lot.

Yay/Nay?

2. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

I had 9 years of Enlisted time in the Navy and loved every minute of it....but then again, there's a saying in the Navy..."choose your rate, choose your fate".....so make sure you choose a job that you want to do and keeps you actively engaged...whether it's the Navy or Air Force.

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

been in 5 years all at sea. there will be times you cant stand it, but there will be times you really like it. foreign port visits generally make up for any bullshit you go through, not many other branches get to experience the vast number of cultures the navy does on a deployment.

"DBA" is right about choose your rate, choose your fate. dont go in as a boatsain mate whos job is to chip & paint if that is going to piss you off. if you hate heat, dont become an engineer. if you like technical stuff and air conditioning... look at IT/ET/FC.

please for the love of god whatever you do go to a boat first. you cant learn your job at shore duty except for certain rates (admin, some air rates with squadrons, etc) and you come out to a boat as an E5 and know nothing.

4. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Right on, thanks a lot guys. I'm leaning towards Master at Arms, subsequently I was thinking of Security Forces in the Air Force. My main beef with the Air Force is from what the recruiter told me and that is that they will not guarantee me an AFSC (MOS/RATE).

But what would you guys say about MA vs Security Forces?

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

i'd ask why MA. job is going to be a lot different than you might think. first there is like a 90% chance you'll be doing multiple tours over in the middle east to start. if you happen to get stationed on a big deck your life will be miserable. i've never met a junior MA that liked their job. once you get to the 1st class/chief level it is alright i guess whether on a boat (we have 1 onboard, first class, who does NOTHING except come to work for captains masts... pretty gay) or on shore duty.

if you're just interested in the whole gun thing i'd look at GM too. they run the armories, do weapons training, etc on ships.

6. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

i was told the same thing, AF will guarantee you a field of work but will not guarantee an exact job.

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

8. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

USN Aviation Electricians Mate > *

9. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

aviation < *

10. WickedJack

WickedJack New Member

Airedales = turd shoes

Fire Controlman (aka Gunner's Mate Nerd Class) = Puttin' warheads on foreheads.

:bigthumb:

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

dot

Graduate basic and you are guaranteed a slot in the AFSC school you contracted for. Flunk the AFSC school and you'll get a shit job.

Whatever you get in your contract is what you get. No more, no less. But don't let a recruiter tell you that he can't guarantee you a specific AFSC.