MIL Navy offers pilots $125,000 bonus

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

jesus christ :eek3:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=99870&ran=58792

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Small change.

Sick and tired of losing experienced special forces to private security firms waving bricks of dollars at soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, the Pentagon recently offered $150,000 re-enlistment bonuses to SEAL s and Green Berets with 19 years or more of service. It worked. Gen. Doug Brown, head of the U.S. Special Operations Command, reveals that 601 people took the tax-free bonus that expired last month. Don't choke on the price: Training one soldier tops $300,000.

$150,000 up front and tax free.

3. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

:confused: after 19 years these guys are around 40 years old. i don't think they'll be able to run & gun like they used to... do they just get instructor positions or something?

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Leadership, mentoring, experience, and knowledge more than makes up for lack of physical ability.

With that said I know multiple operators that are in their late 30's and in better shape than the young kids.

5. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

The Lt. Buckley situation seems kind of weird to me. It says he opted to take the bonus since he already owes 3 years to the Navy for paying for his MBA, he'll only have to give an extra 2 to meet the 5 required for teh bonus. It seems like to me that he should owe 8 years and not 5. At least thats teh way it is with the tution assistance kind of programs I turned down.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

They're not typical 40 year olds.

7. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

the commitments are probably concurrent. mine is the same way currently - i incurred a four year commitment after getting commissioned through ROTC, and a six year commitment when i got my wings, but they're concurrent, so i'll basically end up doing 7.5 or 8 years to finish my commitments.