MIL Navy Nuke Q&A

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Zourn, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I had answered a lot of JSin's questions through PM, but I am going to post the questions and answers here in case anyone else is interested in the Navy Nuke Program. If there are any more questions, just post them up.

The schooling is the hardest I've ever encountered, it's not so much that the material is overly difficult or hard to understand, just that the insane speed at which you have to learn it.

As far as is it learning or memorization, it can be either, just depends on how you do it.

Time studying varies with your grade. Normal school hours during A/Power school is 0700-1600, with anywhere from 0-35 extra hours required each week. However, 35 extra hours is rare, and most of the bad students only get like 20 extra. Prototype is 12 hours/day with no extra required hours.

I had a couple classmates apply, so far only one has gotten picked up. I don't know much about the process, but you should look into the STA-21 (Seaman To Admiral) program.

The food is what you make of it, there is a free galley on the A/Power School base, which is pretty hit-and-miss as far as quality goes. But there is a Subway and A&W within walking distance, and a McDonalds right down the road. After Power School there is no free galley, but you are given a BAS of $292/mo for food, and there is a Subway in the training building.

A/Power School housing is like college dorms, during A school you share a room with one guy and share the bathroom with the room next to you. During Power School you get your own room, still with conjoining bathrooms though.

As far as dropouts go, it's not really dropping out, it's getting kicked out. I think it was 12 or so people that we're kicked out of our class of 300ish. However, only one that I know of was academic. One was medically discharged with a fucked hip, and all the others were kicked out for either underage drinking or providing to a minor.

2. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

Nukes - sure fire way to lose your mind.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

Here's the first question....

What's a Navy Nuke? :dunno:

4. Zourn

Yeah, it's true.

5. Stngray

Stngray A Member OT Supporter

Heard a rumour while I was still in that the main school building had started to sink. :mamoru: Zourn: If you know an MM1 Townsend, could you tell him Doug said hi? I think he is on the 626

6. Zourn

I'll never see him, I'm on the 635, and i hadn't heard anything about the sinking school before.

7. UberBlue

UberBlue New Member

Dude...

Nukes are the biggest bunch of malcontents I've ever known. It's not an easy life. 3AM Rx startups, never ending drills (especially on ORSE runs - nukes to back, coners to the rack), and heaven forbid if the skipper doesn't want to shut down for port calls (might as well be underway).

...And it seemed like we constantly had an M-diver on restriction for something alchohol related.

8. Zourn

I've yet to go through an ORSE, but the sheer thought of it from what other people say scares the dogpiss out of me.