MIL navy nuke program.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gjunon, Jun 26, 2009.

1. gjunon

gjunon OT Supporter

I just passed the navy nuclear power program test 65/80. my asvab score was an 87. I am curious to know if anyone has any positives or negatives to say about the program?

I am currently set to get my bachelors of science in business admin degree in 6 months. the only bad thing is that i have a 2.86 gpa and my recruiter and the officer recruiter both stated that with my gpa I would not be able to go into the navy as an officer.

I am leaning towards going to a different branch like the army and seeing if I can qualify for the officer program from the get go. I would prefer to join the Navy so any feedback would be appreciated. Im just not sure if they are pulling my leg about not being able to go officer.

Thanks a bunch.

2. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Degree is a degree as far as I know... No matter the GPA. Why not just wait the 6 months?

3. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

your degree/gpa might not be competitive for the Navy OCS program...but it'll get you to the board for the Army OCS board

oh and the Navy's Nuke program is probably the most challenging military school academically. High drop out rate and when I was in, their suicide rate was fairly high for a school command.

4. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

2.86 ghhhhheze

5. Nucleartiger

Nucleartiger Clemson makes my nipples hard

fixed

There are great opportunities available for after the Navy because of it. There is a reason why they called us the top 2% of the Navy.

I would recommend doing it though. Especially if you want to go in the Navy. The officer/enlisted interaction is much better than other rates have.

6. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

what kind of jobs are available after you graduate?

7. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Sorry had to. Granted you need to be book smart to do nuke, but come on. People wise they are some of the most off, retarded, no friends people on this planet.

LOTS of people qualify nuke but do not do it because of either the horror stories they hear or are just not interested. Especially since it is generally an engineering group of rates (with exception of ET), and I would never wish being an engineer on anyone.

8. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

it'll suck if you don't get picked up but put your package together with badass ASTB scores, recommendations, personal statement and send in your OCS package. screw what recruiters say to you because they're not the ones picking you up for the program. yeah, they'll give you insights and whatnot but if you meet the score, you can submit your package.
    Who knows man... you might get picked up because they see something in you or because of pure luck. good luck.

9. gjunon

gjunon OT Supporter

that is pretty much what everyone is telling me that did the nuke school and is currently in the program. thanks for the heads up.

10. gjunon

gjunon OT Supporter

work full time and go to school full time... see how i works out for you ;)

11. gjunon

gjunon OT Supporter

i am also leaning towards doing this. and thanks for the good luck I will need it .

12. gjunon

gjunon OT Supporter

from what i understand the nuke program is not worth doing if you are planning on making it a career and doing 20+ years. most of the nuke people I have spoken with cannot wait to get out of the navy. from what i hear there are better opportunities else where once your done with the schooling.

13. gjunon

gjunon OT Supporter

pretty much I qualify for any enlisted program in the navy at this point. I would be joining the navy on a delayed entry program so I can finish my degree. in the civilian sector I can easily make 40k/year to start with living in San Diego.

14. rvito

rvito New Member

I was a nuke machinist mate for 8 years. The schooling was pretty tough, and the job was thankless. Only positive I could see was that I was an E-4 under 6 months, an E-5 at two years and a E-6 at six years.

15. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

you really wanna because I can so bring it... :eek3:

16. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

lol

17. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Some guy sat down next to me in the galley once and we started bullshitting. He was a nuke and started telling me about how much his life sucks, how he hasn't seen the sun in 3 weeks, how they run drills while he's supposed to be sleeping all the time, etc. Then he tells me that he has 843 days to go till he gets out. He knew the exact number :rofl:

18. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

Nukes are fuckin weird dude.

19. wrwarwick

wrwarwick OT Supporter

I heard nukes get ridiculious enlist/reenlist bonuses too tho, like over 50k

20. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

:eek3:

21. FapFap

FapFap New Member

exactly why i didnt go nuke. I went aviation as an AT and def dont regret my decision. but I have ambitions to be a pilot so aviation will help me better then nuke would have.

Oh and one more thing if you go nuke youll never be able to do anything else in the military, something to keep in mind.

22. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

this

23. Cobra Commander

lol, intel guys get 65k and i hear them complaining... Even though SRB's for them dropped from a 5.0 to a 1.0

Nukes are ~ 80k brocephus

24. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Whoa. That's way more than I remember bonus's being. I was looking at like 4 years for 10k in the Army. lolz.

25. Cobra Commander

truf.

I forgot to post that those SRB's were pre-srb nuke. When they got rid of that shit due to our influx, people started dropping like flies. I hope IT's pick up an SRB bonus again coming up soon.

If I don't get picked up for STA-21 then I am going to probably get out.

I am starting my degree with DeVry in September.

IS's are lame bro