MIL Navy IS..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ~stangzorized~, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

So I decided as of recently I wanted to join the Navy. Took my asvab and went through MEPS. Everything has seemed to go fine so far. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do so I put down IS as one of my jobs.. currently I'm waiting to hear back from them on it.

My question is, is it very hard to get a job in this field even if I met the requirements?

If any other details about background/scores are needed, I'll gladly post what I can...

2. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Did you talk with the classifier at MEPS?

3. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

You have to be eligibile for a Top Secret security clearance at a minimum (which includes a lot of variables), everyone in your family including you will need to be a US citizen, your AR+VE score must equal 105 or better...that's about it.

The advancement is the best in the Navy, next to some CT's. I believe it was last cycle every single person who took the IS1 (E6) exam made it. There are also a lot of really cool NEC's you can get. You can get stationed anywhere in the world as an IS, not just with the Navy. They do a lot of joint ventures. Reenlistment bonuses are very high too.

If you qualify for it, I would do it. You can't go wrong.

4. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

IS is a good job and yes, hard to get as far as navy jobs go...youll have to have good asvab scores and a spot free background check

5. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

orly? I saw that message too.

However, a friend of mine is an IS2 and he just reupped on the ship for $45k. This was two months ago. Loophole?

6. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

I scored a 91 on my asvab, have no criminal record and everyone in my family is a US citizen....and I'm still waiting to hear back from them on that particular job. They called me today and said they have a job open for AV. I'm unsure on whether or not I should just go ahead and take this or possibly wait forever for an IS job....

7. FapFap

FapFap New Member

I went it as at AV ill tell ya how it went for me.

-may21st left for bootcamp
    -while in bootcamp told I was going to be either and AT or AE. found out I was an ATO had no idea what it ment
    -graduated bootcamp july 18th and went across the street to TSC for 2 months and went through ATT which is a basic electronics course.
    - Went to pennsacola for A school. found out there are 3 strands to AT
    - end of november got my orders for my squadron at the end of A school, you fill out a dream sheet and normally youll get at least something on it.
    - dec 5th came to sqauadron and was placed in the line shack which is where most airman go first in an f/a 18 sqaudron,
    - april 1 was sent TAD to 1st LT
    - july 3rdish was sent to c school (finally)
    - went back to squadron at the end of october and am still in the line shack. should be able to go to the AT shop sometime next summer.

So basiclly over 2 years in before Ill even be able to work in my rate as an AT. and from what Ive seen this is how it goes for most people who join as an "AV"