MIL Navy damage control

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xknight, May 11, 2006.

1. xknight

xknight New Member

Is it possible to switch my job to hospital corpsman.What does a damage control do exactly?

2. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

Duties performed by DC's include: operating, repairing and maintaining installed firefighting systems and equipment, damage control equipment, and chemical, biological and radiological defense equipment; training shipboard personnel in the operation, maintenance and repair of damage control systems and equipment, life saving devices, and various firefighting methods; performing emergency repairs to decks, structures and hulls by emergency pipe patching, plugging, and shoring; performing maintenance and repair of watertight closures and assorted fittings; performing emergency repairs to piping fittings and fixtures; acting as the ships Fire Marshal and fire fighting leaders; training ship's company in chemical, biological and radiological defense

ASVAB Score:
    VE+AR+MK+AS=200 or MK+AS+AO=150

Other Requirements:
    Must have normal color perception.

Are you already a DC?

3. xknight

xknight New Member

4. jrace

jrace New Member

It is possible to switch your job. You need to talk to your recruiter. He needs to take you back to Meps to see if you qualify. What you have now is what you qualified for on that day that you went there.

5. xknight

xknight New Member

he's too god damn lazy. He said that i can do it after basic but i think he's full of shit.

6. jrace

jrace New Member

You arent changing shit after basic! How do I know? I used to be a Navy Recruiter

7. jrace

jrace New Member

And how do I know you arent changing shit after basic? Because I work at RTC Great Lakes now!

8. xknight

xknight New Member

man that SOB lied i knew it lol i got screwed

9. jrace

jrace New Member

You didnt get screwed!

10. jrace

jrace New Member

No one twisted your arm and made you join the Navy

11. xknight

xknight New Member

the only reason i join the navy is to become an HM

12. jrace

jrace New Member

The job YOU chose doesnt have anything to do with your recruiter. That's between you and the classification person at the Meps

13. xknight

xknight New Member

does a DC job suck?

14. jrace

jrace New Member

Hell no, it doenst suck. The Navy wouldnt offer you that job if they didnt think you could do it

15. jrace

jrace New Member

If you have any questions PM me. Let me know where you are at also.

16. xknight

xknight New Member

well i dont think i will reenlist. i was going to stay for 20 years if i was a HM. i should have waited till i was out of high school.

17. jrace

jrace New Member

If you are going to make that decision to not re-enlist now you arent educated enough on the Navy.

You are saying you are going to quit after your first enlistment. You havent even done the job yet and you want to quit. When are you leaving for bootcamp?

18. xknight

xknight New Member

i will serve my six years (only because i'm under a contract)and yeah i signed up for six years.

19. xknight

xknight New Member

lol june 21

20. xknight

xknight New Member

right after high school

21. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

yeah man see what you can do at meps to see if you can't get your job switched/if you qualify....remember, they Navy doesn't have you until you're actually in great lakes...

22. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

It wouldn't be the first time a Navy Recruiter gave out the wrong information. How do I know? Because I am a Career Counselor....:slap:

If you cannot change your rating choice before you go to boot, (I vaguely remember at some point during boot being asked if I wanted to change ratings), you can convert to another rating after you do time in that rate after you get to your first command.

Once you get to your first command, which will prolly be a ship, during your check-in process, you will meet the Ship's Career Counselor. Tell her you really want to be a HM and express that you are interested in the SCORE program.
    Selective Conversion and Reenlistment (SCORE)

Occasionally Navy people feel "stuck" in their jobs -- positions that may not be in line with their interests.
    The Navy wants its people to serve in the rating in which they have an interest and aptitude. To achieve this, the Navy has tailored the SCORE program for Navy people wishing to change to fields offering them greater career potential. A four-, five- or six-year obligation under the SCORE program offers these incentives to members reenlisting for conversion to critically undermanned rates:
    • Guaranteed assignment to class "A" school with automatic conversion of rating upon satisfactory completion of that school or direct conversion if switching to a similar skill; Possible advancement to PO2 upon completion of the "C" school or "C" school package, if these appear on the current Career School List on the date of reenlistment.
    • Guaranteed assignment to an appropriate class "C" school or "C" school package, if available; and SRB, if otherwise eligible.
    To qualify for the SCORE program you must:
    • Be in any rating in CREO group 3; (upon further research, at this time you wouldn't qualify for this program because E1-E4 DC is a CREO Group 2. ) It does not mean you cannot covert, you just need to do it a different way)
    • Be a PO1, PO2, PO3 or identified striker;
    • Meet minimum test scores for entry into appropriate class "A" school;
    • Be within 12 months of EAOS, as extended;
    • Have at least 21 months continuous active naval service, but not more than 15 years total naval service;
    • Have demonstrated a potential for rate conversion, show sustained superior performance and be recommended by your commanding officer;
    • Have no non-judicial punishment and no record of convictions in the current enlistment or within 48 months preceding date of application; and
    • Obtain prior BUPERS approval.
    After you check in, go talk with the medical officer or a HM and express your desire to be a HM. This will involve sacrificing some of your personal time. You need to show your dept, division and the command that you really want to be an HM.

Being a DC on a ship is a dirty job at times. No job in the Navy, (on a ship), is easy.

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  23. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Personally, I wouldn't ship out unless I had the job I want. Tell your recruiter that. They may threaten Legal ramifications or punishments or w/e, it's a lie.

From usmilitary.about.com
    Also, you might wanna read this article, http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/recruiter.htm

24. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

DC's work pretty dam hard on a ship almost as hard as the engineers.

25. xknight

xknight New Member

damn my job is hard i thought i was just a fireman.