Navigator and Ford truck engines

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Guest, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am looking into buying a Lincoln Navigator. I know the car and engine is all Ford. But where can I find specs and info on the Navigator engine?...Iam not looking for hp specs but more like internals and engine names. Correct me if im wrong but isnt the Navigator based off the Expedition? Or how about all Ford trucks and SUVs?...are all ford engines interchangeable? Reason I am asking is because I may look into swapping a Lightning engine in the Navigator as well..ive seen articles on the Expedition w/ the Lightning engine so I know that works well. If anyone call tell me or point me in the right direction Id greatly appreciate it. TIA

2. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Where do I start.....the Navigator has the 5.4 engine which is the same as the Lightning motor and F150. Its a Triton engine as well. But here is the difference from the Lightning and F150, it has 300 hp stock. The F150/Lightning has 285 without the S/C, IMO you would be better to leave the engine in there and S/C it. After all when they built the 2000 Mustang Cobra R they didn't use the F150/Lightning engine they used the Navigator engine. For more info on Navigator's or Ford trucks in general go to www.F150online.com, they have a great forum there along with pics, how-to's and an online store. I'm there very now and then.

3. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Lincoln's web site provides a crapload of information about all of their vehicles. Here's a link to the stat sheet for the Navigator.

As far as the engine goes, yes, stick with what is in there. You should be able to bolt on the Eaton S/C that the Lightning uses.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey thanks for the great help fellas. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I havint checked either of the sites but I will in a few. Now I am wondering about the internal components of the Lightning and the regular NA engine, are they the same?..or does the Lightning have forged parts? Also the fuel system concerns me, being one is for forced induction and other is NA, does the Lightning have a big fuel system with bigger injectors? Im still new to SUVs and trucks but I have alot of experiance playing with my turbocharged car. Thanks again

5. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

My opinion I would go with forged internal components. If you want to do it right beef up the interior of the engine before you supercharge it. I'm not positive if the Lightning does or not but I'm sure it does. Injectors I'd say are different than stock, another thing to think about would be a fuel pump. Superchargers generally require higher flow pumps and injectors. Go to that site I mentioned because there are alot of aftermarket goodies you could add. I'd rather not get into them all. There are a few guys over there who have built there F150's into speed monsters. Talk to Neal he is the resident speed guru.

6. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

7. Guest

Guest Guest

put the powerstroke in it, if you really want to move.

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

why teh hell woudl you put a power stroke in it i dont think hes gaon tow any thing a s/c 5.4 wont handel

9. Guest

Guest Guest

when have you seen a 5.4L Excursion do a 13.1..... i've seen powerstrokes do that.

10. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

How do they get the Powerstroke to go so fast? I know they have alot of torque but they are not know as speed demons. Stock the 5.4 is definetly faster.

11. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Just due to sheer power. Diesels LOVE turbo, so you can strap really as many as you like on :) I've seen semi's do 12 sec 1/4's (TNN, of course).

12. Guest

Guest Guest

remember, turbo=easier

get a new chip, so detuned from the factory, get the banks desiel kit, and ad some propane. you'll be kicking ass left and right.

13. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

But most diesels have to have turbo from the factory just to make HP. I don't disagree that the Powerstroke can be made fast just that as in engines not all diesels are created equal. Some run stronger than others stock, still the 5.4 being a OHC design it loves being supercharged. Plus it can be made a monster NA, hence the Cobra R which uses a Navigator engine. I wouls like to see one of these Powerstrokes in a 13 second truck, that would be cool.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

f150's and expy's have the SOHC with 260hp
    Lightning has SOHC with supercharger 380hp
    Navigator has DOHC and 300hp

powerstroke wise you can put a computer chip
    add boost
    put a propane shot on it (propane works the same asNOS in a gas engine but you can run propan constant)

there were some 4x4 powerstroke f250's at our track running mid to high 13's

I also agree with www.f150online.com they have the best damn message board in the world imho
    well besides here of course

15. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

The Lightning has forged pistons, rods, and a steel crank. All the modular engines are interchangeable. That would be the 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L. Putting a powerstroke in would be a big mistake. The modifications would be horrendous(sp?). Installing a L drivetrain would also be alot of work. It would require mounting in a intercooler, an E4OD with the diesel internals, and the L differential would be recommended. There are a ton of aftermarket superchargers available for the 5.4L.

16. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Thats the point I tried to make. The Nav already has 300hp(hence its use in the Cobra R) and with so many superchargers out there(Novi Paxton as used on the Lightning) one could easily be pushing close to 400hp. Not to mention computer chips, tranny upgrades and gear changes.

17. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

The Lightning has an Eaton...

18. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Thats right.....I quite forgot.

:uh:

19. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

except for 98-99 models, which had the same shoc 5.4 liter V8 as the F150 and the X-ped. My dad owns a 98, hes been thinking of dropping in a powerstroke or a lightning's sc'd 5.4 liter as soon as the warranty ends this summer.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

it would be way to much trouble to put in a lightning motor (wiring harness, new computer, new tranny, new rear end)
    another route is to spend that money and rebuild the stock unit with forged pistons and the works http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/
    you can rebuild your motor to handle a hell of a lot of boost 16psi^ for around $7k
    then by a centrifigual ATI Procharger or a roots style Magnacharger both around $4k