Navigation systems when buying a new car.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 97gsr, May 22, 2006.

1. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

I’m looking at purchasing a new used car and I definitely want a navigation system. Would it be better to purchase the car with factory navigation or buy one without the factory nav and install and aftermarket nav?

There wouldn’t be much of a price difference. Is there any benefits or negatives to one or the other?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

usually cheaper to go aftermarket. However, most factory navi's are nicer, with better integration.

3. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

From what i have seen, most of the factory NAV units are priced pretty close to what in-dash aftermarkets cost. The benifit IMO of the factory nav = covered by the factory warranty, OEM look, also some include nifty things like voice activation for not only the nav, but the climate control, radio, etc.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

. and most factory are as good as aftermarket. IIRC honda cars use alpine nav. i want to say BMW does also.
    I think most of the use Navtech (sp?) software, which powers most aftermarket stuff

5. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

For the cars i've seen and have been looking at, the price difference is about the same for aftermarket. But the thing is there is alot more cars without the factory NAV option so it gives me a little more leverage in price dealing. But i'm jsut not sure if it is enough for me to go that route and then install an aftermarket NAV

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Get the factory. Simple things like working steering-wheel controls are worth it alone. Plus all the other features are a bonus.

Toyota/Lexus navi is made by Fujitsu Ten (Eclipse).

All factory navi is good units.

7. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

I'd agree with going factory if you can. I absolutely love the Navigation system that came in my buddies new 06 Civic.

But aftermarkets can look clean also. Personally I'm going with a double din Kenwood screen (DDX6019) and the new KNA-G510 Navi system made by Kenwood/Garmin, from what I have seen it looks great. And i can always add things on to it later on that work directly with the unit (SAT, Bluetooth, iPOD, etc.)

jolly is right about integration factors though. I do miss my steering wheel controls.