SRS Nausea/Vomiting from Tension?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nish81, Apr 18, 2009.

1. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

hey,

so i hope this is the right forum for my topic. basically, i've recently been feeling nauseous at random times, and occasionally even vomiting. it's nothing to do with an illness, drinking, or any food that i eat. i've always had a sort of 'easily upset' stomach, but it's been getting worse recently. my suspicions are that this could be caused by tension or anxiety, but i have no rational reason to be anxious or tense. it normally happens when i'm going out clubbing at night; and the complicating factor is that i get nervous about the possibility that i might vomit, and this nervousness makes me feel more nauseous, etc.

hm, that looks like one big chunk of text. basically, is there any way i can reduce the level of anxiety in my life, or become a generally more relaxed person? and is there anyone else who's had these sort of problems?

2. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

try meditating/yoga/exercise. general things to relieve tension or stress. anxiety and nervousness can easily set off nausea. it used to happen to me all the time in high school. i never got to the point of throwing up but i would get dizzy and get kind of a bottomed out upset stomach feeling when i was doing things i was uncomfortable with.

when you start thinking about vomiting, try focusing on other things.

3. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

thanks for the advice. i'll try some more exercise and also doing some basic meditation (close my eyes, relax, and breath deeply :coolugh:) a couple of times a day. the weird thing is there's nothing to trigger this; that is, im not doing anything im uncomfortable with or anything. it's just seemingly random

4. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

I used to get the same thing before I moved out on my own, living in an undesirable familial setup literally gave me violent stomach cramps and migranes to the point where I could hardly leave my house most of the week. Once I finally said 'fuck this' and left, feeling better was almost instantaneous. The debilitating cycle is common too. With my stomach, going out in public was a nightmare because I was always worried about what might happen, which just made the anxiety worse.

For me, once I realized that stress was the core cause, I was able to manage it much better. It still comes back from time to time when I'm in uncomfortable situations, but knowing what triggers it is half the battle.

5. username_1987

username_1987 New Member

I have nothing constructive to add, sorry. However, I'd like you to know you're not alone in this. When I get extremely anxious, I projectile vomit with no warning. It's been terrible in several public situations, and there's only so many times I can use a "stomach virus" asw an excuse....

You're not alone,
    Em

6. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

I started going through the same while under extreme stress. My stomach was having spasms & forcing me to spew or to have bad heart burn.

Now I have GERD, can't swallow properly & have heart burn/spasms right away when any stress presents itself.

If this is a new prob for you look for some med like protonix to repair any damage done by the upheaval stress is causing your system. Tackling the repair process earlier can help. Also, not consuming a lot of coffee or similar irritants is pivotal.

If you have a genetic predisposition for these kinds of problems you'll likely have a lot more trouble managing it & should get your esophagus/stomach scoped yearly. The genetic probs in my family, for example, leave me predisposed to develop wheat allergy or esophageal cancer. Each can be detected with an endoscopy. Irritation or discoloration would send up the red flags & set you on your way to getting fixed up or even evading death.

7. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

I have the same problem. When my anxiety is high it causes me to get upset stomachs, nausea and vomiting. It sucks. And like you I have a sensitive stomach, so I have to watch what I eat.
    I try to meditate when I feel an anxiety attack and if it gets too bad I have some medicine to take the edge off.
    Go see a doctor to make sure it is not another medical problem and then look into seeing a therapist. It can really help you.

8. Stephanemone

Stephanemone New Member

:werd: I have the same problem. When I'm stressed/super duper upset, I vomit almost anything I eat, and then I'm constantly hungry and it sucks. I don't really have many suggestions as to how to fix it, as I'm still struggling with it. Recently I've been given xanax for when the anxiety is bad, and that seems to work. Sometimes taking some pepto or tums helps me too.

Good luck :)

9. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

It sounds like the trigger for your anxiety is situational and psychological. I'm not certain, obviously -- but if it is, it's probably the night-life activity. I suspect you go out with friends, and are expected to be in a social environment with people you don't know.

Could this be the trigger? Perhaps it's something related to the clubbing activity.

10. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

thanks for the help and advice guys :bigthumb:

hm..hard for me to say what a trigger, if there is one, could be. my social life is pretty much perfect. i dont have the best family life, but nothing has changed in the last couple of months to suddenly cause more anxiety in me - if anything, things have gotten better.

helps to know there's others that go through the same social awkwardness :)

wow. there's nothing at all similar to this in my family, and im not at the stage where you're at - yet. so basically you're saying that if i leave it unmanaged, what is right now a psychological/anxiety-based problem could turn into a physical problem? and alcohol would count as an irritant right? although i dont drink a lot by any stretch, and dont consume any other drugs.

i think ill do this.. i've been trying to do 'meditation', (breathing deeply and trying to relax with my eyes closed basically) and i think it's helping a bit. but it's too early to say. ill go to the doctors soon, it's just kind of embarrassing because i've been in there quite a bit lately. and with probably nothing physically wrong with me, i might just look like a paranoid freak :o

it's good to know theres a few people with the same issues :x: maybe some sort of stomach medicine would help with the upset stomach. but again, there's nothing at all which would make me stressed/upset. nothing, which means i dont even know what to control

anxiety does sound plausible, because i do get feelings of nervousness and a fluttery stomach. but like i said, i have no idea what the trigger could be. a couple of the times it's just been me going to pick up a friend and come back home - with no-one else involved - and this is a friend i'd trust with my life and everything in it. there's nothing at all that should cause me anxiety or stress :dunno:

11. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

You'll have to let me know if you find out what it is. I'm stumped. :eek3: