LGBT Nature vs Nurture

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MissKittyKaye, Jul 27, 2004.

1. All right, here is a nature vs nurture question for ya’ll. Knowing that everyone’s sexual preferences are innate and not learned, how much of this could be genetic? I know my first sexual ideas and excitement came from girls and as I grew into adolescents my focus turned toward the more acceptable heterosexual relationships. Now, as an adult comfortable with myself I know that I could never be completely sexual satisfied without both experiences.

I look back at my strict, proper, god fearing parents and wonder did they ever have sexual feelings like me that they would never have accepted or talked about? I also wonder as I watching my young daughter grow up not liking anything about men, is it just a developmental stage or is she showing her preferences this young already?

What do you think about the heredity of sexuality? Alternatively, is it something we all have but only some of us embrace it and act on it?

2. Konowl

Konowl New Member

Considering that, AFAIK, they don't know what "causes" homosexuality, I think it would be pretty hard to determine if it IS genetic...

I really don't think it's "genetic" at all, to be honest. However, I also believe there are many more homosexuals "out there" who hide who they are to fit into societal norms.

3. Thanks for the reply.

4. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

5. coma

coma New Member

Well if it isn't genetic (yes, yes....I know there hasn't been a proven genetic link) then wouldn't homosexuality be a choice?

But to your last point about the closet cases: So many hide behind girlfriends, marriage, the clergy, macho activities...it is so comical yet sad that they waste their lives that way.:nono:

6. CoCo

Actually, a couple studies show that there is a genetic link... A "gay gene" if you will. ...Only, they are having problems with reliability with their research. There seems to be a recessive gene that is passes maternally, buuuut some people are claiming that this is impossible, so the works are all being tested, retested...most of the time with the same results, buuut no one can figure out why those couple of results are different.

Anyway, this is one of the issues with genetically altering babies. You know how you can choose the features of your fetus now? Well, some of these doctors are claiming that they can isolate the 'gay gene' too.

Taylor and I read an article about this earlier this year.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  7. Would you happen to know where the article was published? I would love to read it.

8. CoCo

I looked in my email, because I thought I had it stored there is my STARS folder... But alas, I can't find it. But in all realism, when dealing with genetic studies, how can one spacific gene be missing from one of a set of identical twins? And with that, the research (which if I recall, really took off after later late 1993) on the "Gay Gene" sorta died down...

9. Yeah but just because you have a gene does not mean that it is expressed. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with the theory....it just sparks my interest.

10. CoCo

I just googled it, and I couldn't find the article that we read before--that article was more a commentary on companies claiming to be able to make dormant the gay gene, pick eye color, set body shape and crazy shit like that...

Back to what I just found, an article detailing the stuff from the 90's...

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/courses/genomics/2002/Pierce/gaygene.htm

11. Killgunner

Killgunner Guest

:rofl: gay gene

12. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

for me, it's totally 100% genetic, up my father's side of the family.

My second cousin is gay (my dad's cousin)
    Two of my cousin's are gay (my dad's sister's kids)
    My brother and I are gay
    My niece is gay (my straight brother's child)

So, yeah... completely hereditary for me. My dad carries the gene.