MIL Naturalized Citizens have to wait for 5 years before joining the Navy as officers?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NPT, Nov 16, 2006.

1. NPT

NPT Guest

my friend just got his green card recently. he talked to a Navy recruiter about the prospect of joining the navy as an officer. the recruiter told him this:
    -he cant become an officer without being a US citizen.
    -he cant join the navy or other armed forces in geenral if he's over 26. (my friend is 22 right now)
    -even if he is a naturalized citizen, he has to wait 5 years from the date of naturalization before the Navy can accept him as an officer. (??)

the citizenship requirement is understandable, but the last two seem weird to me, especially the last one. anyone?

2. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Was he talking to an enlisted recruiter?

3. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Makes sense to me, officers are entrusted with a lot, from the lives of the men under their command to sensitive data. You wouldn't want to make it easy for some rogue organization to plant someone into their ranks. If they made it so as soon as you were naturalized, you could become an officer, it'd be much easier for a plant to be made.

As for the age requirement, its pretty standard. They want young men, who are at the peak of their fitness, not someone who's already a decade into it.

4. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

sounds like it.

I don't know about the citizenship issues, but at a minimum the age information is wrong -- which makes me think he should talk to an ROTC unit Admissions Officer, or do some googling.

5. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I dont have a problem with him not being allowed in under the same reasons that Ameter outlined

6. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i think the age limit is 34 for enlisted atleast...i had a couple buddies that were 32 right out of bootcamp....boy were they shocked at the mistake they made :rofl:

7. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

you definitely have to be a US citizen to be an officer, however i'm not sure about the 5 year naturalization rule. sounds reasonable, but i agree he should talk to an officer recruiter if that's the route he's interested in.

8. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

being in miami, we have guys getting their citizenship about a year before comissioning

9. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

Is this recent? My cousin had a dual citizenship (he was born in the US, his mom is filipino, no us citizenship), and was able to make it 3 years in the marines before he finally was asked about it.... he had to renounce his foreign citizenship in order to finalize his security clearance.