natural cures?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by φ, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

have you all seen that infomercial with that guy selling a book called "Natural cures they dont want you to know about"? he has some very legitament arguments about the FDA and the FTC about how there are no cures for diseases and never will be because if someone finds a cure for everytime then all the drug companies will become bankrupt.
    In his book he claims there are natural cures for obesity, herpes, multiple sclerosis, migrane headaches, high cholesterol, virtually any disease you can think of.
    There was also a part about fast food companies and how they put chemicals in their food to make you chemically addicted to the food,and chemicals that make you fat. And how you will start feeling depressed and physically/emotionally different if you deprive yourself of fast food because of these chemicals. He mentioned a court case where these accusations were made and the list of things put into the food was subpoenaed and it actually proved that fast food companies put these chemicals in their food.

He also made a point of saying that the FDA has made a law saying that ONLY a drug can cure a disease. So this would mean that if eating apples cured you of herpes, for example, that apples would have to, by law be sold of a drug and that the FDA would control the sell of apples in the US.

Extremely intresting stuff. I was wondering if anyone has the book and what are your thoughts on it. I might get a copy myself. Has anyone seen this infomercial?

2. velamint

velamint Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon

I bought this book, and soon after my banking records were subpoenaed under the patriot act :wtc: dont mess with it, man.

3. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

Yeah I've seen the infomercial... Wouldn't pay for it but wouldn't mind downloading an ebook or something for free. Haven't seen it around though.

4. φ

say what? Im 17 and dont give a shit-lick about politics and proud of it, Actually i hate any teenager who is into politics (dont ask).

anyway, what do you mean by this

5. velamint

velamint Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon

:hsugh:

6. φ

huh? me? little ol me?

7. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

:wtf: you guys think that you need to buy a book for this shit? it's all common natural shit... :rofl:

I mean I can tell you most of the shit, you can EASILY find the other stuff out on your own

and no you cannot make most claims on most dietary supplements, or the FDA has to control it... companies have gotten in trouble, that's why you see that shit on your supplements that say this product is not intended to cure, prevent, or treat any disease, etc... it's not to say that it can't, just that the corrupt ass FDA won't allow them to claim that it does

8. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

those amazon people act like he fucking invented natural supplementation and shit, yeah he's a scammer, but a lot of the shit is true, and it's a lot easier to find than buying books and signing up for websites

9. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

no, it's more like if there were claims that the apples cured herpes, it'd have to go that way

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Most of the time when they do experiments with natural remedies it's not controlled or administered professionally. A good example is Mastic which retailers claim is just as good if not better than drugs at eradicating the H.Pylori bacteria. A scientific experiment was done to prove that it does work. Well, apparently the test was extremely flawed, but since scientists were very interested in this miracle remedy, they tested it themselves and found that it did not destroy the bacteria in any of the patients tested.

If you haven't noticed, natural remedies often cost more than generic drugs. A bottle of aspirin is like $2 while a bottle of chamomile is $5-10.

11. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

I would like to DL the book but wouldn't buy it. There has to be some decent household remedies, like the onion on a bee sting thing, that I don't know about.

12. btatedash

btatedash New Member

first, the FDA doesn't make actual laws, they issue rulings. these can be challenged in the courts, but the cost to do so and win is so prohibitive that most companies and people just go along with the rulings, thus giving the rulings the effect of being a law. unfortunately, like most government agencies, the law that created the FDA was likely pretty vague, probably something along the lines of 'a gov't agency will be created to regulate and oversee the foods and drugs sold in the US.' It's up to the FDA to decide how to carry out its charter. This is why it can do things such as issuing a ruling banning the sale of ephedra as a diet pill, banning ph's, etc.

second, without doing any research, this book sounds like a ripoff of 'Back to Eden', a book about natural foods and remedies that was pretty famous in like the 70's (I think). 'Back to Eden' can be found in paperback form all over the place, so if anyone is really interested in this stuff, they should go to a used book store or library book sale and pick up a copy for $.50.

holy shit i'm long winded sometimes. back to my can of tuna

13. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

honestly, they'll hint at a cure to something.. and then send you to his website to buy the answer. the book and infomercial are a scam within a scam.

14. Grouch

Grouch Guest

wow you're a fucking waste of flesh.

15. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

:werd:

16. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

marketing hype.

my doctor has recmmended me to use incredibly cheap off the counter drug alternatives all the time. If it works, they tell me to use it. There is no "secret" drug

17. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

THE BOOK IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT BULLSHIT I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE.
    The guy makes no citations or references and does not have a PhD in anything and is making claims himself. He says walking is the best exercise because you are grounded to the earth and the magnetic field energizes all the cells in your body (something like that).
    Marketing scam...sure some things may be true, but making claims like the example above is rediculous without research or evidence.

18. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

its all a bunch of bullshit

maybe you should at least get a college degree or something before you subscribe to shit liek this

19. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Cures or whatever, that's debatable, it's known fact that natural supplements can help a shitfuckload with quite a few things, seriously, if you have any questions hit me up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.