MIL National Guard vs. Reserves

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by .::Rotten Apple::., Jan 7, 2008.

1. .::Rotten Apple::.

.::Rotten Apple::. OT Supporter

Can someone explain the difference between the Army National Guard and the Army Reserves? I live in Connecticut and was looking at the CT National Guard and people ask me if that's the same as the reserves and despite my research I can't figure it out. Help please?

2. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I'm in CT reserves. One of the biggest differences is being able to travel. I can go to college in Philadelphia and still drill with a reserve unit even though I'm attached to one in CT. National Guard however is more state dependent. When you do your oath you not only swear to listen(word choice) to our president but the governor of the state. You are pretty much attached to the state for your term and if you are needed for more in state things, it's the guard that will be called. I know thats pretty general but I'm sure a trip or call to a recruiting station, tell them STRICTLY for information, wouldn't hurt. Usually you'll have reserves and guard recruiters within the same buildings. Read up on both and research on your own, all the aspects of what you will be doing and what they tell you. They may be completely honest and tell you what you ask but at research will give you insight onto different things and answer questions you did not know to ask in the first place.

3. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

Go guard. It will save you a trip.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I've been in the Army Reserves, the Air Force Reserves, and the Army National Guard. Go Guard.

Guard has more benefits than Reserves, which will vary from state-to-state. The Guard units that I have seen were also better run and had better equipment and training than the Reserve unit that I used to be in.

On a strictly work-related level, the Guard has most of the Combat Arms MOS's, while the Reserves are predominantly support jobs. With the Guard, you can deploy for domestic missions as well as OIF or OEF. When the Guard deploys, it does so by state. You can volunteer to go with another state, but if you go you'll be attached to a Guard unit in that state.

5. fixmefixmyhead

fixmefixmyhead OT Supporter

i am enlisted in the NY guard and my recruiter specifically told me that if i were to relocate i can relocate to another states guard unit.

6. Zee

Zee New Member

Myself having been a Guardsman and now a Reservist.....it seems that the Guard has MUCH more benefits

7. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

I am currently with the TN army national guard, and my wife is in the Knoxville, TN Reserve unit.

it's true that the reserves are typically more support than anything else, with the guard being more combat arms related...

also the reserves have more funding than the guard (unless the guard unit is on alert for a deployment, then they have priority), so if you were in the maintenance field, ordering parts is easier in the reserves.

uniforms and gadgets and new weapons/vehicles come faster to the reserves than the guard, as they have to trickle down to the state level for guard units, but not reserve units.

The guard typically has better benefits (tuition assistance, healthcare, etc.) than the reserves, and they also have a higher enlistment bonus (typically $20,000, but can be up to $60,000 following the active first program we now have in effect.)

so, there's a few things to base your decision off of, hope it helps! :)

8. .::Rotten Apple::.

Thanks for all the responses!

9. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

It's exactly the reverse in Vermont. The Guard units there have brand new everything, but that might be due to the fact that they just recently changed from armored units to infantry. They have a state-of-the-art electronic battlefield with convoy, small arms, call for fire, and tank simulators that can all be tied together in one big frag-fest. The infantry unit in my town recently did an air-assault into a simulated compound for their weekend drill. My unit (Combat Engineer special teams, with Mountain tab) suited up and climbed one of the tallest mountains on the Appalachian Trail in New Hampshire for our weekend drill before I deployed several months ago. In the year that I've been in the VT Army National Guard, I've had access to more and better training than I ever even knew existed when I was with the Army Reserves for a year.

So I guess the caveat is: your mileage may vary. Check with your state guard recruiter and ask him to take you out to see the guard unit that you would be joining if you signed. Ask questions when you get there, so you can make an informed decision.

Good luck! :wavey:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  10. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

I just got out of the CT guard....The benefits for this state are pretty good and most of the units are getting more modern equipment now. Also with the guard you can only be involuntarily deployed with another unit from the state...from what i understand in the reserves you can be forced to go with any unit in the country.

You have any idea what MOS you want to get into?

11. .::Rotten Apple::.

Infantry Medic