LGBT National Day of Silence - April 13th, 2005

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Taylor, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Day of Silence is a student-led day of action where those who support making anti-LGBT bias unacceptable in schools take a day-long vow of silence to recognize and protest the discrimination and harassment—in effect, the silencing—experienced by LGBT students and their allies. Last year, over 400,000 students in nearly 4,000 K-12 schools, colleges, and universities participated in the Day of Silence.

Anyone's schools participating? We usually have around 100+ participants at my school.

http://www.dayofsilence.org

2. MattyCakes

MattyCakes Guest

3. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

My high school back in Southern, CT has been doing it for awhile.
    Quite honestly, alot of people use it as an excuse to not talk, or to just say, "look what I did!" After seeing it for three years, I don't think it does a helluvawholelot.

Oh, and to further back up my point, most people just go the school day. I don't know if I should be offended, but I do get pissed off.

4. Taylor

Taylor Guest

The people at my school take it very seriously.

5. MLH

MLH New Member

I attend the University of Texas at Austin and it is being advertised all over school, this is the first time I have heard of it but it looks very serious amoung the LGBT organizations on campus...

6. coma

coma New Member

That is similar to what we had in my college way back when (maybe it's still done today). We had a "gay jeans day" where if you supported gay issues, then you wore jeans for that day. I knew somebody in our dorm who was in a panic because all he owned were jeans and he didn't want to be identified as a "fag."

7. Team503

Team503 Guest

Hmm... I wish I could organize something like this, but I'm not in school. I missed the movement. :(

8. ballerman230

ballerman230 just a pale blue dot

It is "done" at my high school, but no one really takes it seriously...:/

9. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

lol maybe this is good for people that don't have to talk but my bills aren't getting paid then...

Are you all going to not type online too? heh

10. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

so no gays are going to tell me "Happy Birthday Erick!"? :( :sad2:

crap

11. Team503

Team503 Guest

:w00t:

Austin rocks. Come to BW3's on 6th and San Jacinto tonight around 1030 for my birthday!

12. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

ohio state university is planning some stuff but in all honesty but for being the largest school in the nation (we did surpass ut austin this year hehe) and having a ridiculously large gay scene, the gay orgs on campus are rather weak as it is perceived that being a gay activist is not cool. I'm actually gonna be the first co chair of the schools first OFFICIAL gay grad student group. It's about time heh.

But re: Nat'l day of silence, yep we're participating i suppose. I dont have classes tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. I was excited for a second that i wouldnt have to talk on my four hour thursday class and then i realized that the 13th is tomorrow not thursday :(

13. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

It's my dad's birthday tommorow. i shall not be slient.

14. RedGoober4Life

I am really not seeing how this "protest" is filling any great objective. And it's been a year since I've heard of it, and I still cannot figure it out.

I mean it's nice to say oh people will notice, but people do not notice silent people. In fact they bull doze over them. So I really don't get it. It just seems counterproductive.

Maybe it's just a "feel good" thing to do...

15. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

The ad's that I've seen in the past for this say "End the silence!"
    Last year, it was my vow to end the silenve my tickeling those who weren't talking.

16. Ferron

Ferron So yes, I'll see you there.

The card we are carrying around today...

"Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am participating in the Day of Silence, a national youth movement protesting silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and their allies. My deliberate silence echoes that silence, which is caused by harassment, prejudice, and discrimination. I believe that ending the silence is the first step toward fighting these injustices. Think about the voices you are not hearing today. What are you going to do to end the silence?"

I don't think this is rocket science. It's a pretty straightforward protest :dunno:

17. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

That is why I find this really stupid. You are not talking to end silence? Come on, the act can be worded better.
    Fine, I'll say it again...

Tickling those who aren't talking

18. Ferron

:ugh:

Do I really need to take all of the subtly out of the meaning of the protest to explain it?

19. Jobe

Jobe keke ^_^

I really don't understand it much... could you? :hsd:

I already spoke today. Kinda hard not to at work :o

20. Ferron

Pulled directly from the above website. I'm too lazy to explain it myself, but could if there is still question.

"For too long, the silencing of LGBT people and their allies has been the norm. Whether it's the lack of LGBT-inclusive material in educational resources, or role assignments based upon our assumed gender, such silence and silencing affects us all in a profound way.
    Just as profound, however, can be the use of silence as a form of protest. The Day of Silence moves the power of these personal experiences to a community-focused effort. The Day of Silence is a way of turning silence on its head, of reclaiming silence as a tool.

The Day of Silence institutes a visible silence, a silence during which participants protest anti-LGBT discrimination and abuse. Such an effort also allows us to reflect upon how powerful silencing can be, to focus on how we can make our own voices stronger and to begin to stop silencing ourselves. "

21. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Don't you feel that large numbers of people participating in something only half assed destroys meaning?

And I understand the point of the silence, but asking "What will you do to end the silence?" is just retarded.

22. Ferron

Who are these large number of people participating "half assed"?

Am I seriously missing something here; this isn't complicated. :dunno:

23. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Those that I've seen do it, at my old high school, do it very half assed. They either do it to get out from talking, don't do it the whole day, or only do it what it is a convience to them. Of everyone in my high school that I knew participating in it, only one girl stayed silent the entire day. She happens to be gay.

You can't possibly think that being silent to end silence makes sense. It would just make more sense if they went with the idea of, "Bring the silence to the foreground", to show the sheer numbers that support and are in the closet, etc.

24. Ferron

For post 1,300...

[​IMG]

And I'm out of this mess. I'm getting frustrated.

25. RedGoober4Life

Because you can't explain how this protest is suppose to be "support us!" instead of "weep with us!"? It seems more like a funeral than a protest.

And once again the gay activist community herd together like sheep because they are too scared to think on their own. GREAT! That's what I want to promote.....