Nascar channel

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by black jesus, Jun 3, 2002.

1. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

Every time I turn on "speed" all I hear is:

"I had a huge fuckin dip in, and little dale was turnin left, and fuggin a. I love my momma, and I love cope. See, I got them good aerodynamics, so I just floored it and turned left. Then, since I gut my dip, I had to shit. So I just shit myself in the car. Then god damn, the fire came on like the texas heat, and that god damn 2 door taurus burned to the ground. You don't be seein them 4 cylinder drivin foreign faggots burnin thier shit to the ground. I like this hurra cut I got. For a while I was usin a chilli bowl. Now I just put on my helmet, and cut round tha shit. Jimmie Johnson would be proud. Can I get a dip of that there cope?"

2. Guest

Guest Guest

3. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

4. Guido The Penguin

Even though I'm not a big fan of NASCAR, I kinda think the 'redneck driver' personna is past its time.

Sure, there are a couple of yahoos left (Ward Burton for sure), but most of the well known Winston Cup driver's speak better english than 85% of OT.

5. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

Are you sure you have been watching these people? I didn't know people really cut thier hair with a chili bowl.

6. DAMIEN

DAMIEN Guest

Do I detect a hint of jealousy?

Can't stop the growth of NASCAR. It's increasing in popularity and attendance every year. Yes, it was originally as a southern sport but it has out-grown that old sterotype. As of right now, it's a multi-billion industry. Most $$$ are from coporate America and they love it because they can promote themselves on cars or drivers.

Heck, I'd kill to be a race car driver. The best job in the whole world. Getting paid $2 (or more) millions a year to race? That's a no brainer.

7. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

They still turn left, race in circles, are technological dinosaurs, only turn left, and only turn left. How fucking hard is it to pick a line, turn left, and draft; although it may feature extreme precision it is rediculously boring and simple? I am jealous. There is no reason why F1 or WRC should not be huge here. As long as republicans love thier momma's and george bush, nascar shit racing is not going anywhere. Just when FOX buys Speedvision, I am screwed out of any decent programming not related to nascar. What happened to F1, ALMS, FIA, and even "speed" cup coverage?

Did I mention these cars only turn left?

8. DAMIEN

DAMIEN Guest

Okay, let me beg to differ. In other motorsports you mentioned, it's about the best car money can buy. In NASCAR, they impose a set of rules for a certain race car to be built to a specific specs. In that, they can equally (Not always) race each other. Yes, I'm sure from the look of it, going in circles and turning left may seem tedious and boring to you but it takes much more than that. It's about patience, babying the car, and thinking ahead. With a 3,000 lbs car, you can't just step on the gas and go flat out on any tracks. The car is too sensitive and the slight of oversteering would certainly send you to the wall.

Okay, let see. F1? You don't have to worry about burning your tires up early if you overdrive the car. In NASCAR you do. I'm not trying to make you a convert. I would suggest trying out a PC stimulator game called NASCAR Racing 4 and you will definately tell that it isn't as easy as you thought it was.

Everybody has his own different flavor in motorsports.

9. Guido The Penguin

Wow, a smart newbie. This is a first. :)

And I agree. My background is rally and sports car racing, but I still like to watch a good NASCAR event.

10. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

howver, you cannot deny that it is one of the more simple motorsports out there, and the spectators are some of the goofiest.

11. Guido The Penguin

Well, its simple because of its 'stock' background. Thats why they still have the bassakwards rules using old technology engines, etc. Its to help sure they can make the playing field as level as possible.

And as far as 'goofy' race fans, watch the crowd to a Formula-1 race or watch the spectators on the side of the road for a WRC event, and tell me they are not goofy.... :rolleyes:

12. Ting Ting

Ting Ting Guest

I've never witnessed spectators at an F1, WRC, or CART event actually cheer when a car(s) wrecks. I've seen that happen in NASCAR though.:wavey:

13. Guido The Penguin

Yeah, you got me on that one......

:p

14. Guido The Penguin

Its sad but simple. More people wanna watch NASCAR in the US than they want to watch the WRC, Formula-1, ALMS, SCCA Pro Racing, etc. :(

I'd love it if Speed Channel would show more of the ETCC, BTCC, DTM, Australian Super 8s, F-3000, WRC, FiA Sports Car, and other road racing series. But the money is in Nascar. I'm happy they are at least carrying more of the WRC though, along with practice, qualifying, and most of the races for F-1, and qualifying and some races for CART.

Remember, FOX and FX still show the races when they come on. Speed Channel does the behind the scenes coverage.

There's so much money in the sport, they can command who, when, and how they get shown on TV. Much like how Formula-1 is now.

15. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

and for that reason, I will sufer away playing GT3, insdeat of watching NASCAR today.

16. DAMIEN

DAMIEN Guest

I didn't realize this. Can you provide me an example or proof of this? If that is the case, it's about supply and demand. If you have many people demanding for a certain product than suppliers can supply, then guess what? The birth of competition for the rights to air NASCAR on T.V. It's all about money, simple as that. Remember, this is Coporate America. $$$$ talks!

LOL, you might have gotten me there but it's more of a culture thing. F1 is known for its elitism and snobbery so it will attract the same certain type of crowd as F1. I've been to Bristol, Richmond, and Charlotte. The NASCAR crowd is very outgoing and friendly people, all of them coming from different walks of life. We may seem silly to you because we like to wear t-shirts in support of our favorite racers and drink cheap beers but hey, that's an idea of fun for us! In Rally, we may look down on fans who stands right next to the road course and risking their lives in order to get a glimpse of Rally cars. That may seems crazy to us but it's a culture thing to them.

This isn't always true. This depends on who the race car driver is. If the NASCAR fans has consensus of dislike of a certain race car driver (Such as Jeff Gordon, the late Dale Earnhardt, and few to name), you will see them booing them when they win (because they're damn good) and cheering them when they wreck. It's a love/hate relationship. If there was an excellent racing action going on between several cars and they ended up in a wreck, the Fans would be disappointed in that but they were pleased to see the action.

17. No doubt NASCAR enjoys a huge following in the U.S. but on the world stage it will never hold a candle to the more established motorsports such as F1, WRC and MOTOGP. It is uniquely American and that is where it will always stay

18. Guido The Penguin

Well, it is slowly creeping off the North American continent and into Asia and Europe.

There's the Ascar series in Europe which is basically a NASCAR Europe. Jason Plato (former BTCC champ) is one of the top drivers.

Then you have Japanese drivers coming to the U.S. to race in NASCAR races, not to mention the promo races that are done in Japan.

19. DAMIEN

DAMIEN Guest

What do you mean by "More established motorsports"? Do you mean they have been around for a long time? NASCAR has been around since early 1940s. F1 and WRC are purely European too but they are no means by dominant motorsports in the world.

Your statement sounds like NASCAR is beneath to other motorsports simply because it is American sporting event and that isn't good enough a reason to classify NASCAR as a "less established" motorsport. Of course, I only see this as an opinion coming from your own perspective, not the world opinion.

20. Guido The Penguin

The first year of modern F-1 racing was 1950.
    The 24 Hours of Le Mans started over 80 years ago.
    The oldest race that is still runned today is the Rally Monte Carlo. Its been around for a little longer than Le Mans.
    The modern form of the WRC didn't start until 1977. Even then it was changed to its form today again in 1979.

NASCAR has been around longer than alot of modern upper-tier motorsports, but it hasn't been around as long as some others.

Like DAMIEN said, I dont think that makes it any lesser of a form of car racing.

Granted its primary audience is on the N.A. continent, but the WRC was primarily a European sport until a few years ago when other rounds from around the world started joining in. F-1 today is still considered a European sport, does that make it a lesser form?

21. F1 is a primarily european sport?? Perhaps in it's origins but you can't honestly label it with such a general statment when you consider they race in nearly every continent on earth with a diverse driver roster from all over the world. It is an International sport in every sense of the word.

I don't think NASCAR is "lesser" at all, comparing it to something like WRC is apples and oranges. My opinion is that its just not very exciting to watch, but thats just me

22. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

Could not resist this thread....

I agree that the bulk of Nascar fans seem to be good ol' boy types. And sure, some of hte drivers come off that way too.

But I will tellyou this, it takes a lot of skill to keep a 3000 lb car pointed where it should go with 42 other guys around you, some less than a foot away, at 120+ miles an hour.

As for technological dinosaurs... well the only thing 'old' about NASCAR is the fact they still use pushrod engines. But even with that concession, some of those engines cost more to build than some people make in a year. And they get completely torn down and analyzed after every race for microscopic claws and areas for improvement.

NASCAR teams spend thousands of hours in aerodynammic tests to get the best body shape possible. Rally, F-1, and CART don't have the same restrictions, so they have more room to work. You try getting a "Intrepid" to stay slippery in those drafts

All said, I think Rally drivers are some of the most talented, and fearless motorsports competitors out there. No way I'd go careening around a dirt road, on the side of a mountain, at 100mph!

23. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

sheesh my typing sucks - sorry guys

24. DAMIEN

DAMIEN Guest

You're right about that. They still use carbetuor engines. Do you know why they have to constantly search for any bit of improvement they could make in their engines? NASCAR stock cars are built to NASCAR's own rules and standards. All cars have to be the same, so every bit of help counts! Hell, if they could shave 1/18th of pound off in their cars, they'd be thrilled with it. That's one of reasons why NASCAR is interesting. All cars are built equally and most of the time, it comes down to the drivers.

F1? Hell, the most money can buy the best car in F1. It's staggering to see the amount of technology involved in F1. It's neat and crazy at the same time. I don't think any form of motorsports is boring or bad. Everybody has his own different flavor. I do like to watch WRC and F1 once in a while but my flavor's NASCAR.

If they said NASCAR's boring because it goes in circles, I could say the same thing about F1 because it only use road courses and you don't see much passing action in F1 but I don't focus on that. I focus on the skills and techinques that are required to compete in these different types of motorsports.