Napster vs. iTunes: The Breakdown

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

For all you digital music lovers out there, you have probably blown quite a bit of dough on iTunes, or CDs that are now ripped to your Mac or PC. Well as times are progressing, so is Apple's competition. Seeing all the ads for Napster to Go really got me interested in possibly dropping iTunes in favor for a cheaper approach.

However, as much as the $15 a month vs. $10,000.00 ads have been enticing, they are also very misleading. As with many Apple comparisons, we there are oranges in the equation. I have bolded the areas of importance in the artical below, so the skimmers will see the real deal with Napster's $15 a month service.

Needless to say, I'll be passing on that deal after all.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20050317.html

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  2. MBC

MBC Guest

Dowloading the music from P2P is legal in Switzerland as long as you don't share it.

I'll continue to download songs and buy only the albums I like

3. Brian

Brian New Member

i will continue to download albums from independent bands and support the bands through going to their shows and buying their merchandise

4. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

What do you mean? By you downloading the music, someone is sharing it with you right? So then it is illegal isn't it?

5. inamorata

inamorata New Member

mac>*

thank you and goodnight

6. MBC

MBC Guest

As long as I'm not proposing it for sharing, I won't be in illegality. If the person that let the song available for download is in Switzerland, that's illegal. (sorry for engrish)

7. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Just goes to show that Apple is still getting it right and wasn't even trying.
    Naspter tries hard as hell and still screws it up

8. Brian

Brian New Member

i still think apple should make a napster like subscription

9. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

i read the other day on one of the rumors sites that they have an alternate subscription-based service in the works.

10. TV-MA

TV-MA Guest

I will still continue to use itunes for the very reason that I know once I have my tracks downloaded, they are mine forever. I can burn cd's, make cool mixes for friends and what not. Yeah, you are right, you have to pay for the tracks, but I don't mind, cause I pay for the tracks I want. Renting the music sounds great for the short term, but I am in for the long term database of music.
    just my $0.02

11. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

If you lose your music when you stop subscribing like with Napster, then that is fucking stupid.

12. decibel

decibel Guest

I hate itunes they've got like chart tops from fye, thats it. I've got a $50 credit that I can't use because I don't wanna dl shitty YELLOWCARD.

13. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

:hsugh: You might want to check again.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

first of all, yellowcard has some good stuff... Secondly, you're a friggin moron for needing a "tops chart" to tell you what to listen to. Download what YOU like.

15. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

You suck at life. They have a large selection , and if you don't want the credit sell it to someone for 45 bucks, and then buy something other than shitty yellowcard :mamoru:

16. maczter

:werd:

17. unsightly

unsightly New Member

For real, when the itunes store first came out I thought it was crap too - didn't have much selection etc. But there's stuff on there you can't get for free via p2p or anything else, it's really been increasing, and the 30 second samples are gold for identifying songs you heard a part of on the radio but didn't catch the name of, etc.

I would never do a subscription service... Monthly fees are for total suckers. My music is mine.

18. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

I'd have no problem with a subscription based model with a option to buy. I see it like a radio station where I make the playlist for $15 a month. I can still buy songs I want to own.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

and get your ass ravaged by someone named "guido" at the state penn.

20. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

No, you are the fucking stupid one. Do you really think it is fair for you to subscribe for say a few months, during the time you spend $45, and download several thousand songs, and then let you keep those thousands of songs were thousands of dollars for $45? THAT would be stupid. Everyone would sign up for a month, download everything they possibly could, and quit. You are an idiot for not seeing why this is true and reasonable.

You have absolutely no argument by pointing out in the article that you can't keep your music when you stop the subscription. It isn't YOUR music in the first place, and not to mention, even if you subscribed for 10 years, that would be $1800, which is theoretically equivalent to 1,800 songs. You probably would have listened to 10 times that many songs in 10 years, thus being very cost effective. Hell, you could probably rent from them for the rest of your life and still spend a fair amount less money than you would if you were to buy all of those CD's. Do you still not understand? You just sound like a crybaby, "waa! napster won't let me keep $2000 of music for $15!!!" :ugh:

I really don't understand how you justify being the least bit upset. Do you go yell at blockbuster for not letting you keep your movies forever?

P.S. That said, I wouldn't subscribe personally. But, that is only because I like owning real CD's so that I can do anything I want with them, such as burn tracks, and copy to as many computers and devices as I want. In addition, the higher quality sound you get from a CD is important to me. I do think Napster is a good thing for a lot of people. Oh, and I don't buy things off iTunes either, for the same reasons.

21. maczter

:hsugh: