Name something you want to improve in games...

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by gui3, Sep 29, 2009.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

any major or minor change that you think should - and realistically could - improve in games in the near future.

i'll name a few, for FPS games...

(1) clothes separate from character bodies (this is improving)
    (2) hair. no more bald space marines.
    (3) gravity and friction. in FPS games, there is no convincing connection between a player's feet and the ground.
    (4) realistic reaction to walls. if a character runs into a wall, or walks along a wall (especially if they're dragging alongside it), their posture should change. their hand position should change (if i run at a wall full speed, i'm going to put my hands up before i hit it)

little things like that tip me into the uncanny valley

now you go.

2. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

more color

3. TheGreat8

TheGreat8 OT Supporter

I'm not trying to be a dick with this response, but

(1) We've had separate clothes as far back as morrowind
    (2) So should all video game bad asses have dandy-ass hair like every JRPG character?
    (3) Stop playing Halo
    (4) How realistic should games get? Jurassic Park Trespasser was an attempt at such wall reaction and it didnt turn out well. But Crysis has very awesome posture changes for slanted ground changes [I know this isn't what you're talking about.] The people in crysis don't look like they're running up flat ground when they're on a 45 degree slope, still seems other developers are behind on implementing this sort of thing, Crysis has been out 2 years already.

Somethings I would like to see are much larger quantities of unique NPCs. It feels like most video games are either as barren as I Am Legend or just filled with mobs of randomly generated dolls. Oblivion was hugely dissapointing to me, the Imperial mother fucking City should of had huge crowds of people, but it felt like it had a population of 15 people.

I think they should also make a bigger push for consumer-affordable VR that doesn't suck balls. It's the next step in immersion.

4. TheGreat8

TheGreat8 OT Supporter

This too

5. freshie

freshie New Member

more ability to change controller settings

6. EscapingJail

EscapingJail Playing To Win

More characters in fighting games

7. charbaby

charbaby New Member

Input delay
    fuckin' thing sucks

8. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

1. more games in full 1080p
    2. better graphics all around (killzone 2 should be standard now).
    3. less focus on multiplayer for most games
    4. for cross-platform games, put focus on ps3 to take advantage of superior hardware. dont let inferior equipment like 360/wii hold you back.

9. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

mute button for every multiplayer game made from now on.

10. EscapingJail

EscapingJail Playing To Win

The 360 has a better GPU and more ram. whereas the PS3 has a somewhat better CPU and every console has a HDD and you have the slower but more spacious Blu Ray

It's hard to say the PS3 is superior.

11. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

12. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

yes because this is the thread for that.

nhl10 - broken fucking sticks. no cheese goals (ie nhl09, come around the net and the goalie falls down.)
    mute for multiplayer in every game
    quality fucking stories in rpgs/action games

13. White

White OT Supporter

Better PvP.

14. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I just wish games today had a lot less of the "I feel like I'm only getting the chance to play this movie every now and then" feeling.

It's like games today try too hard to be interactive movies or something, cutscenes are too many and too long, gameplay isn't concentrated on enough.

I don't plug a game in thinking "I'd love to watch a movie, and sometimes be able to play between the scenes." I just want to either shoot some fuckers, race, or get into an rpg (not any newer style ones that I like much lately).

15. ForgottenSpiral

Actually I also miss CG cutscenes. The move towards integrating gameplay with cutscenes is great, but I think it's gone too far. I miss oldschool cgi cutscene rewards like Squaresoft and Blizzard make.

16. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

Not having to play through multiple difficulties just to get to the hardest difficulty. I mean seriously, I don't want to play through a fucking 15 hour game 3 times just to play the hardest difficulty. :wtf:

17. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

Also, games that do this...A game requires that you go through EACH difficulty to unlock all the "beat this difficulty" achievements. Most games don't do this, but fucking Guitar Hero used to. You had to go through ALL songs on Easy, then on Medium, then Hard, then Expert, in order to get the achievement for Easy, Medium, Hard, and finally Expert. Why make the player go through all of that when they could say beat Hard and also get achievements for Easy, Medium, and Hard at the same time???

18. ForgottenSpiral

I also hate sequels with the same fucking achievements as the original games. It's lazy and boring.

19. Strife

Strife Active Member

-Games that are too easy.
    -Need more RPGs like the SNES/PSX days. Don't spend all your dev time on graphics and shitty extra stuff like useless multiplayer and new game+, focus on story, character development, and atmosphere of the game. Games like Xenogears, Vagrant Story, FF3, Chrono Trigger.
    -Don't fuck over FF13 because of the stupid 360 requirements. 360 doesn't have to be exactly the same, bring the JP voices + subs, don't downgrade the graphics, etc.
    -Stop ruining a franchise because kiddies like easy action type games, I'm looking at you Resident Evil.

20. gui3

(1) many new games still have clothes that are glued to the character, rather than layered. it's improving, but it could be better
    (2) that's obviously not what i was saying. ANY hair would be more realistic. it's widely known that space marines in games have shaved heads because hair is difficult to render.
    (3) i actually wasn't talking about Halo. i was talking about Fallout 3, Killzone 2, and COD4, to name a few.
    (4) posture and realistic reactions to objects in the world are the kinds of things that make games more immersive. it's more important than photorealism, i think. the Crysis thing is a good example.

i'm with you on the NPC. Fallout's NPCs were a little disappointing in that there were only two people sizes (Adult and Child) and everyone shared 3 or 4 voices. wasn't there a mod to the PC version of Fallout that randomized NPC's some more?

21. Maestro

Maestro New Member

more naked men carrying big guns

22. gui3

good call. Bad Company's audio shocked the hell out of me. i found it really immersive, but couldn't put my finger on it until i realized that the audio was so far ahead of things i'd heard elsewhere.

many games try to do this, but screw it up. for example, if you're having a conversation with an NPC and you turn your back, suddenly it's as if they're a mile away.

23. Maestro

Maestro New Member

games need to be more challenging, games are just not what they use to be

games also need to be longer or have better replay value...fuck these 10 hour games you can beat in a day

24. juvental604

juvental604 I like to pee upside down OT Supporter

games need more local co op and also more interactive environments instead of bigger ones.

Also difficulty needs to improve from tedious to challenging

and less fps and more of everything else

also games should bring back the seal of quality shit, im tired of seeing shelves full of shovel ware

25. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Sounds like you've played Marvel Ultimate Alliance :o You had to beat it like that to get to the hard mode... I just recently got into hard mode, well, I guess recently isn't the word...but I got to the underwater part and I'm getting my ass handed to me so I stopped playing for a while :o

dot. I miss the battle system of the SNES/PSx days. I can do complex and convoluted but I'd much rather just select my attacks in a timely manner like I used to when I was a kid. Complex and difficult becomes tedious and annoying. I don't want button combos and mini 1v1 fights during battles. If it's a game like Secret of Mana, that's different. If it's a final fantasy give us the standard tried-and-true snes method.