SRS Naltrexone

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gnat, Sep 2, 2004.

1. gnat

gnat New Member

Can someone tell me about this?

My ex-wife and mother of my son is finally going for help at a place called www.thecolemaninstitute.com They will be sedating her for a portion of her detox and using other medications like ultram and valium for an accelerated detox. The Naltrexone will be implanted into her hip so that she is unable to skip a dose. This is for the treatment of a serious opiate/heroin/methadone addiction. Anyone know someone that has taken such a treatment?

Supposedly the ultram will be blocking the receptors and weening the subject off of the opiates at a dramatic pace. Its said to be quite painful and I'm just wondering exactly how bad it will be. She is trying to tell me there is a 50/50 chance of her dying and I'm not so sure thats true.

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I have never heard of this, but it sounds serious... i hope everything goes alright
    :sad2:

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Sounds intense, you (or someone else) will need to accompany her, and she will be detoxed in like 3 days. The way most people detox is by using methadone, but this process sounds much gentler and more successful.

What has been your success rate?
    We have been performing the Accelerated Detoxification since mid 2001 and to date 99% of patients have been successfully detoxed and put onto Naltrexone therapy.

Are there any risks and side effects?
    As with any medical procedure, there are some risks and potential problems. If patients do not follow through with instructions, do not attend the clinic, or take more medicine than intended, potential problems with overdose and accidents could arise. However, we have not experienced any major problems to date.

What happens after detoxification?
    We believe strongly that detoxification without appropriate follow-up and treatment is almost always unsuccessful. Therefore, we insist that all of our patients be willing to participate in an appropriate treatment program as part of their aftercare. A good aftercare program should include 12-step programs and professional therapy.

This is the key right here, this process will help her kick and get clean, but the only thing that will keep her clean is a strong stable base in a 12-step program. This is reitereated on the website as well, I'm sure any support from you will help as well.

Good luck :bigthumb: