GUN nagant crew v. question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by el capitan, Oct 19, 2008.

1. el capitan

el capitan New Member

have you ever had a round that wouldn't allow the bolt to close? i bought a couple of boxes of "silver bear" ammo at gander mountain and 1 round wouldn't let me close the bolt. it was only 1 round, and i couldn't see anything that was really wrong with it :dunno:

it was however an absolute riot to shoot. :bowdown: made some pretty good indentations in an inch and a half plate with some yellow tip ammo i'm assuming was bulgarian :dunno:

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Never happened to me. I have had some sticky bolt situations from primers, but it was unrelated to the length of the round. Just needed to clean the bolt body & surrounding environs a bit.

3. el capitan

el capitan New Member

it was like the 4-5th round i tried to fire out of it, and everything was still well cleaned and lubed. no other problems with any other rounds..... must have just been to long. there weren't any marks or dents on the casing either.

i just gave it to a guy at the range who hadn't seen one before. and finished shooting the rest of the box.

afterwards i just wondered if there may have been something i was missing, or something i should be concerned about?

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I would not worry about it. If you had a headspacing issue the chamber would swallow anything, too long or too short.

5. el capitan

el capitan New Member

:h5:

thanks.

6. acoop101

acoop101 New Member

The quality control is not always the best with the silver bear 54r, it seems that they don't always get the rim dimension correct, I'm willing to bet that's the reason that your bolt would not close. Not a problem with your rifle just a round of ammo that was out of speck.

7. el capitan

el capitan New Member

good to know. thanks man :wavey:

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Never had an issue with Silver Bear, but that certainly doesn't mean their QC couldn't take a day off every now and then (it's cheap after all). I have used the 203 grain Silver Bear to thin out the deer/hog population in my neck of the woods, it's good stuff in that regard.

BTW your AV is bizarre and quite humorous.