n00b questions inside v.Ireadthestickiesandstillhave?'s

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Fartmaster, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fartmaster

Fartmaster Scamming the scammers FTW

Background:
    I've lost 40 pounds since 2/2005 due to cardio 3-4X per week and watching my calorie intake. I'm now hovering around 202-205 lbs. I joined a gym, and part of the package deal is I work with a trainer a couple of times to get going on weight training. I have no prior workout experience.

PT only taught me how to do leg presses and how to operate 3 upper body machines, and wants me to do ONLY those machines until our next meeting in 3 weeks. Also I'm supposed to do crunches and a few other exercises for abs. I really don't see any reason to doubt him at this point, so I'll stick with that routine for the time being. :dunno: I'm also supposed to do 15 minutes of cardio at the beginning and the end of my workouts.

OK, My questions:

1) PT is saying to do high rep, low weight sets, but everything I read here says the opposite. Since I'm a noob should I do what he says, or what OT suggests?

2) How many times per week should I work out?

3) I've read about protein, and I've started drinking protein shakes this week. How many shakes should I drink in a day? When are they the most effective?

4) Should I take fat burner supplements or not? If so, please recommend one.

My overall goal is to continue fat loss and increase muscle mass.

TIA :)

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Abort Pt! Abort Pt!!!!@!#

3. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

1) kick that fool son... you don't wanna overdo it since you're just getting used to it, do what OT suggests

2) if you can go everyday and don't feel like you're overstressing yourself that's great... if not go for something like a 3 weightlifting 3 cardio, giving you a day off, or if only 5 days, i'd go 3 weight training, 2 cardio, and include cardio in one of my weight training days, afterwards, or separated by several hours preferably

3) depends how much you're taking in overall, aim for a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight

4) no.. not yet... get some chromium, sesamin (sesathin), green tea extract, and EFAs

www.1fast400.com

4. jonno

jonno New Member

IMO you don't need a PT. this forum is great and is pretty much a free PT when we actually get into serious discussions :rofl:

this forum has brought me a long ass way :love:

5. armond

armond New Member

I concur, drop the PT, waste of money/time. By doing a little research and reading some of the great experiences on here you can see that high rep low weight is such waste of time.

6. fusion210

fusion210 New Member

1. Screw the PT. OT F&N does a lot of newb catering. It's better and it's free.
    2. Everyday if you feel like going balls to the walls! On the days you arn't lifting you can do cardio. :)
    3. Use them to supplement your diet. I'm sure someone on here can be more specific than me when it comes to how much per pound you weigh and whatnot.
    4. I would say yes, a little can't hurt! Search ECA stack. Ephedrine, Caffiene and asprin. Personally I take 25mg E, 200 C, and anywhere from 81-375 A. At most 3x a day, never close together, never before cardio.

7. pt

pt New Member

Drop the PT

8. pt

pt New Member

:rofl:

9. Fartmaster

Fartmaster Scamming the scammers FTW

:bowdown: :bowdown:

thank you all for the quick replies!

Regarding the PT, it's a "free" service of the gym (included in my monthly fee) and I turned the guy down when he suggested I work with him 2X per week for the next month :ugh: at $70/hour :eek: I'm only going to work with him in my alloted time because I want to learn the correct way to do the exercises...I'm sure I can read about it online, but IMO you can't learn a physical activity by just reading it...I need someone to show me how.

I'm going today, and I'll do the high weight/low rep routine I've seen here. :bigok:

Keep up the replies...there's a lot of good info to be shared here :wavey:

Keep the replies coming, as I

10. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

In that case i would reccommend coming in with some set goals, like "show me how to squat and deadlift" rather than having him put you on some lame routine. You don't need a babysitter while working on machines.

11. Drag On

Drag On Guest

12. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I'll take a stab at this too.
    If you're just starting out, doing high rep for awhile wouldn't be bad until you are comfortable with (correct) form and for getting joints/muscles used to new stresses. Don't stick with it for long though, as soon as you feel comfortable with the exercises get a spotter and go heavy.

The general consensus is to take protein post-workout, some like to substitute meals with it or take it pre-workout but this is not necessary. Superbri mentioned not taking cutting supplements until you need to go 10%, which I'll agree with. It's better you get your eating habbits in order and know how to diet properly before taking anything else. Almost everyone's goal is to lose fat and gain muscle, you'll have to decide at some point which is more important to do because doing them simultaneously is not very effective. How tall are you?

13. pt

pt New Member

pre-workout > post-workout.

The "magical post workout window" is completely misunderstood on this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.