N00b questions about a Supra

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Morphius, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Morphius

Morphius Jackal

I'm getting ready to get out of college and I've been thinking about a Supra as a project car. Thing is everything I've owned previously has been American and I don't know much about the tuner scene. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some good articles? What about the 2JZ-GTE engine? I've heard they can be amazing if you put enough time into it, what's the verdict? What year(s) are the best for this sort of thing? Any serious help is really appreciated.

2. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

the car is wayyy overpriced. stock engine can handle tremendous increase in horsepower without blowing up (over 900+hp)

the stock twinturbo supras can get 10s in the 1/4.

you just got out of college and all of your previous cars are domestic? ugh...prepare for a shocker.

get ready to spend at least $25k for a used car that's 10 years old.

and at least $13k more to mod it to somewhat respectable power. don't ever mention the word cheap stuff on their forums...your thread will get locked and you sometimes get banned (someguy proved that you don't have to spend money on expensive shit by using ebay parts on his thread with dynos to prove it...he was banned. thread deleted)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  3. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

there was a supra that run 8s that's fully street legal with full interior, audio system, etc...

but their forum are full of sackriding 18 year old emo bitches. be prepare to hear bitching at least once a week of how their girlfriend cheated on them and left them and then the emo decided to join their "M.A.S.H" crew (men against sneaky hoes)

4. Morphius

Morphius Jackal

Right now I guess I'm still trying to figure what look I'm going for. I like the body styles of the Supra and the Eclipse best, and I'd much rather be under the hood then doing crazy fabrication.

Any other help for getting into the scene that doesn't include the "M.A.S.H." crew would be really swell.

5. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

no crazy fabrication is needed for the supra. most of them are sold in kits really. how big a turbo & horsepower goal & fuel. they're starting at like $6k. And then tuning etc...

it's ridiculously expensive. unless you're making money..there are better cars out there for the money & to mod than the supra. c5 vette, nsx, 300zx, rx-7. their prices aren't overinflated due to the fast & furious shit like the supras

6. whathappened2u

whathappened2u New Member

You can get a one or two year old Evo 8 for the same amount of money as a 10+ year old Supra. Thats where I would go if I wanted to get into the "Tuner" scene. You can also pick up C5 Z06's for a good price now too if you wanted to stay in the domestic scene.

7. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

It's a great car, expensive to build, even more expensive to maintain. There are "cheap" ways to do everything but some are good decisions, some will leave you with headaches. If you're not prepared to spend 35-40k right out of the box to acquire one and modify it, you'll likely want another car.

8. Morphius

Morphius Jackal

Anyone know of any good places to do some research? OT is great, but it's really mostly just opinions. I found the Import Tuner Magazine's website and it isn't that bad. Anything else pretty handy?

9. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Lurk much geez

supraforums.com

10. Morphius

Morphius Jackal

How the hell does my post count have anything to do with this?

11. 2500

2500 Guest

the price of the supra has nothing to do with F&F considering the prices haven't gone up since the movie. they have always been very high priced cars. why? well, for one, the motor in them is probably one of the best designed in history. secondly, 99% of them are very low mileage, which increases value alot. they are always clean and flawless. third, when the supra was new, it was very expensive, so most were driven by old people, so now, they are very well taken care of. also, alot of supras have work done, which jack the price. a 98 with 25k miles will go for 26,000 according to KBB. the problem is, people see the demand and raise the price. KBB has a 93TT supra for 14,000. the thing is, you cannot go through Ebay or supraforums for this car. if you are looking to buy a supra, you need to search, and go through private party, not some forum or ebay that'll jack the price. bottom line, you get what you pay for. if you wanna buy an eclipse for cheap and turbo it, fine, but i know you will never hit the goal like you will in a supra, unless you start tearing your motor down and doing internal work. think long term, and think what your goals are. if your only looking for 13's, then yeah, get an older GSX and play with that some. but, if your lookin to get into the 10s or 11s, not many cars can do that with a stock motor. or you can do what i did. bought a lexus SC300, which the supra chassis is based off of, and share the same suspension, brakes, and NA motor..... and dropped in a twin turbo motor for 1600 bucks, lol.

12. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

i didnt say it was bad dude relax

13. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

errr. their price is overinflated thanks to fast & furious. F&F create demand for the supra and it therefore, raises the price.

KBB listed a TT for $14k? good luck finding it. get ready to spend at least $25k for a supra tt. and what's with the arguement of supra cost a lot when it was new and hence the reason why it cost so much now...

the 300zx tt, rx-7 tt, 3kgt tt/stealth tt, all cost about the same. yet. all of them are price around the KBB.

well, i guess he can do what you did and get a poorman's supra :kekeke:

14. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

btw, how hard was it to put the 2jzgte into the sc300? a lot of fabrication need to be done even though it came stock with the non turbo supra engine?

15. 2500

2500 Guest

i didn't say supraforums was bad. i'm a member there and i love that place. i'm just saying that if you want to buy a supra, its best to buy one OFF of the forums and ebay cuz its just higher priced there.

and i'm still stickin to, no, F&F didn't have an effect on the price, becuase you are paying for what you get. its not like a 98 supra was 6grand before the movie and 30 now. they have always been priced in that range. i don't see any overpriced eclipses, rx7's, maximas, jettas, and s2000's......

and ha, a poormans supra. i like that. more like a luxury supra :rolleyes:

aaanyways, i swapped a soarer engine. 2.5L TT. its from the lexus SC300 in japan (toyota soarer) so the swap was direct with no custom work needed. all clips matched up, everything bolted down like stock. i just had to extend some wires, and run a few vac lines, but thats it.

16. Morphius

Morphius Jackal

Sweet. I don't want to say that money isn't an object, because I'm not really that well off, but this is going to be a project car. I don't want one that's modded, I'm actually trying to find a R-title if I can to keep the price down. I've still got a daily driver, so that isn't in the equation either. Bang for my buck isn't the main focus here, it's which can give the biggest bang.

And I wasn't jumping on you Akimbo, but I can't even post in OT because people think because I don't live here I have no useful input :hs:

17. 2500

2500 Guest

the biggest bang is the supra, or JZ engine powered car. my buddy made 900hp on his stock supra motor. it all depends on your goals. tell me what you want, and i'll tell you what i think you should get. i've been doing this for a while, i can help you figure it out. what goals do you want, what kinda money do you want to invest, and where do you live.

18. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

also the biggest buck :/

www.supraforums.com have a for sale section, they have some nice supras there but nothing below $25k :hsugh:

19. 2500

2500 Guest

if you want the most bang for the least buck..... get a older rusty civic hatch, gut it, and put a turbo H22 in it.

like i said, what are your goals for the car.

20. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Why did F&F not change the value of the RX7 then? Supras were overpriced well before that movie ever came out.

21. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

because it's not the main car of the movie??????????????????????

22. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

shit, if the rx7 was the car that killed the ferrari, raced that domestic, and flip the targa top off(lets just say) to jump to the 18 wheeler.. i guarantee 10/10 the rx-7 prices will skyrocket.

23. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

The fast and the furious was just the start of the trend, at the same time the movie came out the "tuner scene" was taking off and just starting to make 600-700hp out of these cars (nowadays that is nothing). As the HP myths and truth about Supras crew, so did thier credibility and the desire for those with extra money to purchase them.

24. 2500

2500 Guest

thats what i'm saying, but, it seems like this one got into the scene because of the F&F and wasn't around before the movie like we were.

if you think supras were cheap before F&F and the price went up, your very wrong. you can still get civics for a grand. able to drive under trucks and everything. :rolleyes:

25. whathappened2u

whathappened2u New Member

You lost your credibility with that post, nobody turbos the H22, and everybody turbos the B series motors...