GUN n00b question (caliber related)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by smell my finger, Jan 19, 2003.

1. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

if i buy a gun that is rated at .45 caliber, does that mean i can fire all .45 caliber cartridges ? or are some longer than others ?

(we're talking just handgun rounds)

2. smell my finger

ok, just read up on some stuff.. apprently it depends on the strength of the gun frame.

eg.. hk usp .45 can fire all 45 rounds ( +p, +p+) where as the compact usp .45 cannot fire the +p rounds. apprently the frame isn't strong enough ?

does this all sound accurate ?

3. novass

novass Guest

NO !!BE CAREFULL

There are several .45 rounds. All the ".45" means is the diameter of the bullet OR stated easier .45" of an inch

Were the bullet may be the same the differance is in the brass ( the part that stays in the gun.) there are 45 colt , 45 Long Colt , 45 acp, etc etc etc. these mauy or may not chamber in differnt guns but only use the load ( round) that is marked on the barrel. If it say "45 acp" thats all you try to use.

4. smell my finger

:bigthumb:

that's why im asking.

i think im going to get an hk usp full sized .45, ive gone through too many 'im going to get this one' phases, but this one is it.. i think.

5. taco

taco Guest

not all .45 bullets are the same size either. that is something to watch out for.

.45 acp uses I think a .451 bullet

45 colt, 454 casull use .454 bullets

45-70 458 lott and other rifle 45s use a .458 bullet

there isn't much interchangeability among handgun 45s. you can use a 45 long colt in a 454 casull but not the other way around. other than that there isn't much interchangeability

funny you were a noob like 2 weeks ago and now you are an expert and just know a 10mm is the king of cartridges.

6. smell my finger

true story :o

7. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

99.9999% of .45 semi auto pistols use .45ACP, .45Colt and .45Long are usually used in SA revolvers- mostly cowboy action shooting.

JK