n00b question alert

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by moerom, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moerom

moerom New Member

I've been trolling for years, picking up tips and looking for some inspiration.

Q: Is it possible to put on muscle mass while in a caloric deficit?

And after much searching the net and asking broly friends, the consensus on my question is 50/50.

I lift and do interval-based cardio, and I'm in a caloric deficit. I've noticed changes in the mirror (e.g. 'Wow, I never thought I'd see that muscle'), but I can't tell if its because said muscle is larger in mass or because I have less bodyfat.

I'm fully expecting a read the stickies, stickitinyourassn00b, but I love that shit.:eek3:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Not really. You can most likely burn some fat at maintenance or slightly above if carbs are low enough and protein/fats are balanced properly and training / sleep / stress levels etc are in check while still adding some lean mass. Some have claimed to gain slight amounts of lean mass on low carb caloric deficits, but unless you're a complete noob I don't see it happening.

If you're seeing results, keep doing what you're doing and don't think so far into shit.

3. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I'm worried about the same thing. I'm trying to build mass but lose my small love handles at the same time. Two more weeks of my current diet and then I'm increasing my calories.

4. sheep10

sheep10 New Member

5. moerom

moerom New Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.