N00b question about netbooks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cyclaptor, Jun 2, 2009.

1. cyclaptor

cyclaptor Active Member

i want to give up my laptop for a desktop and a netbook. thing is netbooks don't come with optical drives. how would i go about reformatting the netbook or installing drivers? if netbooks come with a thumbdrive with all the software, how would it work if i got blue screened and weren't able to upload the software? i want to get a netbook with XP installed.

2. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Lenovo S10 has this thing they call "One Touch Recovery." Basically you turn it off, push a button, and it reimages the drive (either to how it came from the factory, or from an image you made yourself).

Or you could just reinstall your OS from a thumb drive. There are a handful of programs that will "burn" a disk image to a thumb drive. UltraISO is the oen I usually use.

3. Phat_J

Phat_J OT Supporter

or you can buy an external optical drive.

4. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Yeah that...$40 on Newegg.

I think you can set up the BIOS to try to boot first from a thumb drive and if you were using Ubuntu I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere you can use a thumb drive as a boot cd, but I don't know if that's possible with XP.

5. dragonfire

dragonfire New Member

it is, booting xp from a thumbdrive using the hp ( hewlett packard) disc format tool works nicely.
    as for xp installation, an external CD -drive ( DVD not needy as for the most cd´s...) as available for like $12.99 with amazon will work, too.