MyTunesRSS: Play your iTunes music from anywhere

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Laserbeak, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

http://www.codewave.de/products/mytunesrss/

If you have music in your iTunes library you want to listen to from anywhere on the Internet, this program will allow you to do so by copying your iTunes playlist, converting it to an RSS feed, and publishing it so that it can be accessible via the Web using an ordinary Web browser.

Here's what I recommend having in order for it to work well:

* An OS X or Windows computer with iTunes installed, preferably also as the default music player,

* A broadband connection,
    Note: I recommend a 384 kbps upstream or better, but if your music is mostly in 320 kbps format and your upstream is 384 kbps, expect a lot of buffering issues. I found that bitrates equal to, or less than, 192 kbps MP3s will work fine though;

* A DNS entry (preferred, but if you know the IP address of your connection, that works too) for your home connection. You can get one for free at www.dyndns.org. A static IP is a huge plus if you want to create the DNS entry, but DynDNS supports DNS entries if you have a dynamic IP address too, but I never read into it since my ISP gave me a static IP address, and

* The ability to forward ports on your router so that it can be seen from the outside (if applicable).

I found the installation and setup were quite painless and quick; I had mine up and running in about 10 minutes, and it comes with a nice, clean, straightforward GUI. :coold: You can password-protect the entry page if you want since you have to initially access the feed through your Web browser, but I imagine you could encrypt it with an SSL certificate if you wanted to go off the deep end. :p

Now I can stream my music from home computer! No more putting the portable hard drive I brought from home to work at risk, and it's freeware too! It just doesn't get much better than that for me. :coold:

P.S. Godaddy.com has SSL certificates for $19.99 a year if you really want to go off the deep end.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

cool idea - i couldn't get it to work though... how about a link to your RSS? :x:

3. alex p. keaton

alex p. keaton OT Supporter

I can't get this to work either :hs:

Do you think you can do a quick EDU?

4. Laserbeak

That's fine. Can you guys live without screenshots?

5. alex p. keaton

I'm sure it'll be fine with or without screenshots.

6. Laserbeak

EDU: Installing and Setting Up MyTunesRSS.

1. Download MyTunesRSS for OS X here: http://www.codewave.de/products/mytunesrss/?download_file=MyTunesRSS_MacOSX-2.3.6.zip

2. Unzip the ZIP file and place the file "MyTunesRSS" icon into the Applications folder on your hard drive.

3. Launch MyTunesRSS.

4. Wait for MyTunesRSS to find the location of your iTunes Music Library XML file. If you're losing patience, hit Cancel and manually point to it as described in Step 6.

5. Once it finds it, you'll be taken to the main program window.

6. What to do at this screen:

* Change the port if you wish, or keep it at the default (8080).
    * Give it a password if you want.
    * Provide the path to the iTunes Music Library XML file if you wish (it's typically located in your home directory, under Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Music LIbrary.xml; the path is ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml for the *NIX buffs). You'll want to manually tell it where to find the library file if it took a really long time for the program to find it, or if you just lost patience.
    * Click the Options tab to customize it further, if you wish.

7. Leave that window open, and now go into your router's settings, and in the Port Forwarding section, open up port 8080, by telling it that port 8080 on the outside needs to go to port 8080 on whatever IP your computer has on your network (disregard this step if you don't have a router).

* Example: If my computer's IP address on my home network is 192.168.1.2, I need to go into my router, and in the Port Forwarding section, say that I want port 8080 on the outside should go to port 8080 on 192.168.1.2.

* Note: I only know how to do this on the Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station; you'll want to consult the manual on your router if you have something different.

* Note 2: Ignore this entire step if you do not have a router in your home network. Proceed directly to step 8.

8. If you have firewall software running, tell it to open up port 8080:
    * For OS X users using the built-in firewall:
    * Apple Menu -> System Preferences...
    * Click Sharing.
    * Click the Firewall tab.
    * Authenticate if asked.
    * Click New...
    * In the Port Name box, select Other.
    * In the TCP port number(s) box, type in 8080 (or whatever port you wanted to use).
    * In the UDP port number(s) box, leave it blank.
    * Type in "MyTunesRSS" in the Description box.
    * Click OK.

* Note: Ignore this step if you are not running firewall software on your computer. Proceed directly to step 9. I'm not using any third-party firewall software on my computer, so I won't be able to help you with that.

9. Get the IP address of your DSL/Cable modem. I don't know how to do this on broadband connections that have their modems use DHCP to get an address since I have a static IP, so you'll want to consult your ISP to figure out how to get that.

10. Go here to find out how you can get a free DNS name for your home connection: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/howto.html

* Note: You can safely ignore this step if you don't want a DNS address for your home connection, just make sure you memorize your IP if you don't get a DNS address.

11. Once you have all this in place, go back to the MyTunesRSS program window, and click "Start Server."

After a few moments of the server starting up, you should be able to access your iTunes library via a Web browser. You can access it by going to http://address:8080. If you assigned a password to this in Step 6, you'll want to enter it at the screen that comes up when you're prompted.

Let me know if this helps. :>

P.S. Don't quit the MyTunesRSS program when it's running, or else you'll stop the server. If you need it out of the way, Hide it in the Dock or minimize it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

thanks, in for later (after i get back to school) :wiggle:

8. alex p. keaton

That's exactly how I tried to set it up earlier :hs:

Maybe I'll try to do it with a DNS address and see if that works. Thanks for the effort on the EDU :bigthumb:

9. Laserbeak

Try connecting using http://127.0.0.1:8080 and see if you can get in then. This way you can isolate whether it's a a network-related issue, or if it's an issue related to your system or server settings.

Glad to be of help. :) :coold:

10. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

sweet - got it to work :run:

11. slfmade

slfmade New Member

couldnt get it to work but not for sure whether i have static or dynamic ip or anything

12. Laserbeak

Most ISPs issue out dynamic IPs to their customers, since plans with static IPs are typically more expensive.

13. alex p. keaton

Couldn't connect to this...should I try to get a DNS?

14. Laserbeak

I don't think a DNS address would fix this, because 127.0.0.1 means you're just connecting to yourself (it doesn't go out to the Internet to do this; otherwise known as a "loopback address"). My only thoughts at this point is that firewall software is running on your computer, and this port is being blocked by the firewall.

Do you have any firewall software running (like what's in Sharing in System Preferences)?

15. alex p. keaton

Under Firewall, the only one that I have checked is the one I created for MyTunes and the firewall is off.

16. Laserbeak

Ok, a couple of things to try:

Can you fire up the MyTunesRSS program and start the server?

Then, can you open up Network Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Network Utility), click Port Scan, do a scan on 127.0.0.1, and copy and paste what shows up in the Network Utility window? It should give you a list of what ports are open.

I'll do my best to help, I'm just starting to run out of ideas. :/

17. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

18. alex p. keaton

Port Scan has started ...

Port Scanning host: 127.0.0.1

Open TCP Port: 1033 sdhelp
    Open TCP Port: 6880
    Open TCP Port: 8080
    Open TCP Port: 45100
    Open TCP Port: 62521
    Port Scan has completed ...

'Preciate the help!

19. alex p. keaton

I also went back in and tried redo-ing everything, and now I'm able to access the page via 127.0.0.1:8080

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

20. Laserbeak

:coold:, now see if you can access it from the outside using your external IP (DSL/Cable modem's) address.

Once that works, just get your DynDNS address, test that out, and you should be good to go! :bigthumb:

21. alex p. keaton

That's the thing, when I try to access my external IP (what's listed under Info), it doesn't work. :wtc:

22. Laserbeak

Doh!

Who's your ISP? I know some ISPs are charming and have their networks on virtual lockdown.

Depending on the area and provider, I can't say I blame some of them. :o