Mystery hard drive gigs ???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NCS, Jan 4, 2004.

1. NCS

NCS Active Member

Can someone explain this phenomenon to me please:

right click -> properties on my C drive : 39.2 GB used
    open C drive -> select all (yes including invisible/hidden files) -> right click -> properties -> 31.8 GB

what the hell? :ugh:

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Cluster slack. Say your cluster size is 16 KB and you have 100 1 KB files. Your files are only 100 KB but your disk usage is 1600 KB. Is this a FAT32 drive?

3. affende

affende Guest

^^^^^^^^^im with this guy^^^^^^^

4. NCS

NCS Active Member

no, ntfs. and this makes sense now, thanks. i dont NEED those extra 8 gigs or so the same way i need my blood, but is there an easy fix to this without any drawbacks, or should i just not care?

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

At a command prompt, type "fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo" without the quotes. Midway down you'll see "Bytes per cluster". XP defaults to formatting drives at 4KB/cluster but if you upgraded from an older Windows and converted to NTFS, your cluster size may be larger. For reference, I have 4KB clusters on a 120GB drive. C drive properties show 84.9GB used and the sum of the files is 81.4GB. That's 4% slack. Not bad compared to the days of 1-2GB FAT16 drives with 32KB clusters where I routinely saw 40% slack. I believe Partition Magic can change the cluster size but be sure to have a full backup before you attempt it.