Mystery drive partition (that I would like to kill)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ebtromba, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

So I have never really needed to partition my internal hard drive of this dell notebook. It’s a 80db 5400rpm drive, and it serves me very well for all my recording needs. I rarely do any multitracking, 90% of what I do is just recording to a 2 channel stereo .wav file, and even with a sampling rate of 48 kHz and bit depth of 24 (CD audio is 44.1 kHz and 16 bits) the thing has never flinched. However, I am conscious of my space and although I have a very big usb drive for backups, I would prefer not to record to it (although I have tried it and it works surprisingly well)

OK. So today I am partitioning my usb drive with partition magic (one partition is my backup disc image) and I notice this weird partition on my main internal hard drive.

[​IMG]

Here it is again through windows XP disk manager.

[​IMG]

So…what is it? What happens if I delete it and merge it with my main partition? Why is it full? What could it be full off? Did dell put that there?
    I know its only 3 gigs, but it just seems wrong to have 3 gigs just sitting there and not using it.

2. peerk

peerk New Member

Probably the restore partition. You can delete it if you have an XP cd with a matching key and if you won't miss any of the preloaded software. Also you will most likely need to download drivers for audio, nic, wlan, graphics, etc.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

you mean a la windows system restore? I haved used that a couple of times and its saved my ass...if thats what it is I don't want to kill it

anyone else?

4. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

It's not windows system restore. System restore stores all the information it needs to do its job on your main partition. That mystery partition is put there by your computer assembler so that, in case you screw it up real bad, you have an easy way of putting Windows and all of the preloaded software back on the computer without going out and buying another copy of 'Doze.

If you choose to remove this partition and you have problems in the future, I actually don't believe you need an XP cd with a matching key; I think any cd will work. I know that I have formatted my friend's Dell and reinstalled Windows using his key and a random service pack 1 XP cd I had laying around.

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

ok, cool. In a few days when I am done with a project I'm in the middle of I will format the mystery partition to NTFS and then merge it with my main one.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Typically there's a Recovery DVD included in the laptop, or an option to create a recovercy CD (or DVDs). You should create that first, before you wipe it. I do that even on brand new laptop's that I wipe and reinstall our image onto just in case there's something that the website misses (and... they do :squint: )

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

well, I am set up to recover from a catostrophic failure so I went ahead and formated the partition to NTFS and then merged it with my main partition. just gained about 3 gigs space. badass.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

america. fuck yeah

10. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

It was the Dell Diagnostic partition . . if you ever have issues and call tech support they'll generally tell you to boot into disgnostic mode and run some tests, that stuff was loaded on that partition.

11. keleko

keleko yes, he is

:werd:

12. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I thought the tiny 47MB was the Dell Diagnostic partition. It even says "DELL UTILITY"

whatever

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's a difference between the diagnostic partition and the re-imaging partition.