Mysterious suspension knock

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by SaviouR, Sep 3, 2008.

1. SaviouR

SaviouR Dallas - Choke City :(

Every time I'm at a dead stop and about to turn out I hear a slight, single knock and it gets worse when there's more people in the car.

My rear left tire also has signs of heavy wear (red bands all over) and now deflates to the point where I have to air it once a week.

Does this sound like a control arm problem at all? It's a 2008 Civic Coupe so I know I can get it fixed.

2. jmann

jmann New Member

sounds like your cv joint is going out.

3. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Get it to a shop; if the suspension is failing, it could cause a dangerous loss of control.

The worn tire may indicate the location of the trouble, but you need to get it checked before someone gets hurt.

Besides, letting it go could cause more damage.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If one edge of the tire is wearing faster than the rest, then it's a camber problem. If the whole tire is wearing too fast, then it's a toe-in problem.

The slight knock when you first accelerate could be God-knows-how-many things -- engine mounts, worn differential, CV joints -- but most of those make the noise more than once. Most likely you have a loose control arm and it's tilting back and forth as you speed up and slow down.

In any event your car is fuckded. Take it to the shop post haste.