MySQL InnoDB vs MyIsam

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, May 7, 2007.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I run/develop an ecommerce site based on asp and mysql. All of my tables are using the innodb engine. I want to change the products table to myisam so I can write fulltext queries with our products search engine script. Are there any possible consequences this could cause? I can't find any but this is a full production database...so it makes me a little bit :noes: making changes like that.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

innodb has transaction support. that's important for ecomm.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It sounds like you are fine, since you won't be writing to the products table during a transaction. Having it be MyISAM should be fine.

4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Yea, from what I've read this morning, I think the products table would actually be better on MyISAM anyway since it's only updated once or twice a day, yet there are 1000's of select queries made on it (mostly cached though) every hour. Search really sucks using wildcards and "like" queries :down:

Thanks

5. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Went ahead and switched the products table to MyISAM....we immediately saw a huge difference in page load time. It was worth it just for that...the boss even noticed :coold:

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah, MySQL with MyISAM BLAZES. InnoDB should only be used when you actually need it. You give up so much speed. Fortunately its not hard to switch.