myphpadmin / mySQL V: creating database of photos?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ryan112ryan, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

so i am brand new to mySQL and PHP (as in i know nothing at all) my experience include HTML, CSS, and a very little bit of flash.

I want to set my website up so that i can have a "photo's" file on my server and simply drop a file folder (with pictures in the folder) and it will add them to my site automatically (be dynamic) i was told that i would need to use databases by use of MySQL.

i know nothing about any of this. My hosting service (dreamhost) has mySQL and myphpadmin already setup (which i could never figure out on my own)

how do i accomplish this? create a data base with photos in it? how do i get my site call up this data each time? any turorials youd recomend (one that are real plain language, easy enough a retard could understand)

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If you want to be able to drop photos into a directory and have them show up on your site, I wouldn't use a database. I'd just write a Perl or PHP script to look in the directory and display all the photos.

A database would be more efficient, though. It would probably require some sort of photo-uploading interface, since you need some script to see each photo and add it to the DB.

3. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

dreamhost supports php so where should i go from here? i really don't care about efficent file sizes, i use 5% of my allotted transfer. recomend and really easy tutorials, mabye so php indreamweaver tutorials?

4. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

I suggest you install www.4homepages.de script.
    Its great. Then download a batch import mod from their forum, which will let you upload a directory, and have the script read it, import data into DB, and thumbnail the images if required.

5. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

i got it up and running, the interface is nice, but the templates are pretty bad.

i might just go see if i can get a php for dummies book or somthing

6. lulu_grl

lulu_grl hi2u!

Try out http://pixelpost.org

Easy to install and the support forums are pretty decent if you have questions.

7. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

php bible 4

check it out