My Zaino review

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scottwax, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I decided to try Zaino on my brother's Honda Odyssey since it is a silver vehicle and my understanding is that silver is the best color to show how good Zaino can look. I had no plans to Dawn wash my brother's van (or anyone else's vehicles either), so I decided to use Klasse All In One (AIO) as a base, since it is an oil free polish that Zaino can bond to. In addition, AIO is a known quantity to me since I have used it in the past. It is a very neutral looking product in that it doesn't deepen the paint, just makes it shiny and slick.

My brother had already washed his van when I got there, so I was able to jump right in and start with AIO. I even used a brand new polishing pad to make sure no other products came in contact with the paint. ;) The paint was still in good shape since the van is only about 15 months old, so AIO was enough to prep the paint. I also did all the windows with it too. After polishing, the paint was noticably brighter, more reflective and slicker; just what I expect from AIO.

I mixed 5 drops of ZFX into the Z2 and shook it up real good before I started buffing, so by the time I finished, it had been 30 minutes since mixing. I misted a brand new foam hand pad (again, I wanted to make sure no other products could contaminate the results) and applied some Z2. It spreads very easily and a little goes a long way especially after the pad it primed. I applied the first layer and by the time I finished (maybe 10 minutes), where I first started applying Zaino passed the swipe test, so I removed the excess. Wiped off with no effort and I saw no streaking or smearing at all. Wiped off just as easily as NXT or Wolfgang if you want a comparison.

As I wiped off the excess, I noticed an improvement over just AIO. Clearer, wetter and more reflective. Slickness seemed marginally better than AIO. The van looked like I had applied another layer of clearcoat that was still wet. I expected Zaino to look very reflective but I was pleasantly suprised with how wet it looks. :) Looks similar to EX-P but with somewhat sharper reflections. Overall, very nice appearance! :cool:

After the first layer, I still had some ZFX mixed Z2 I needed to use up. I QDed with Z6, then applied another layer of Z2. Again, by the time I finished, I could remove the excess. I then used the last of the Z2 applying a 3rd layer. Like I said earlier, once the pad it primed, a little goes a real long way and it spreads with ease.

I noticed more improvement (albeit slight) with the 2nd layer than the 3rd, so I think 2 layers would satisfy most people. My only real complaint is the necessity to use ZFX if you don't want to wait to remove the excess and want to do 2-3 layers at a time. I ended up with some leftover product that obviously I had to toss out. I guess it takes practice to be able to accurately know how much product you will need so you don't mix up too much. I don't know about the chemistry in Zaino so I don't know if it is possible to make it so it sets up more quickly without having to add anything. In any event, it is a minor issue.

3 hours since I applied and removed the last layer, the finish is noticably slicker than it was when I finished and the reflections down the side are very sharp. My brother is very happy how his van turned out...and once I can get some pics in better light, you will understand!

I have enough Z5 that I can do another whole vehicle, my understanding is that Z5 is better on darker colors so I'll be looking for something to try it on in the next week.

I may end up ordering some Z2 and ZFX since I do have customers I only see a couple times a year. With AIO as a base, Z2 is very easy to use and gives outstanding results and (based on what everyone says) the durability to go 6 months with a single application (probably 2 layers though).

On with the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple more on my site:

http://www.scottwax.com/nxt_and_zaino.htm

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  2. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

Nice review. Thoughts of adding it into you almost perfect routine?

3. Scottwax

I've thought about adding it as an extra cost option for my customers who only get their cars detailed once or twice a year. Using AIO as a base for Zaino saves me from having to do a Dawn wash and other Zaino users have said it also adds much needed depth.

If it holds up well on my brother's van, I will probably order some.

4. Scottwax

Good pics now up in the thread and on my site.

Jeez, I thought the mere mention of Zaino by me and actually being pretty happy with the results so far would have generated a 10 page thread by now. ;)

5. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

hehe
    yeah i remember a few zaino wars with you and some jerk trying to say that zainoing once every six months could keep his car as good looking as yours.

It actually kept me away from zaino...

Excellent work as always Scott!

6. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

AIO... good idea. Thanks Scott. I've been a Zaino rep for a while. Love the stuff.

7. Scottwax

Those are the same people who kept me from trying it. Sort of like the same reason I won't buy Amway products, the people deeply involved can be real nutbars.

I got a chance to try it though from a Zaino user who has an open mind about other products so I tend to trust his judgement more than the Zaino Nazis. Glad I tried it and found a way to use it without a Dawn wash. Some have said you should wash it with Z7 after using AIO but that is exactly the extra step(s) I don't want to get wrapped up in. Besides, there are a lot who go straight from AIO to Z2 or Z5 with excellent results.

There is a bit more work and cost involved using AIO and 2-3 layers of Zaino vs AIO and EX-P while ending up with a very similar look....but if Zaino will last 6 months vs 3-4 for EX-P, I can offer it as an extra cost option.

BTW, as soft as the paint is on my 626, there is no 6 months and forget it product that will keep the paint looking tits. :hs:

8. Error

Scott, keep your eyes open for Z2 Pro coming out soon. I've been testing it for a long time now, and one of my test cars has 9 MONTHS on one coat, and looks good as new!

It's supposed to last a year. 3 months to go...

9. Scottwax

I thought Z2 Pro was supposed to be a secret? I know it is coming out, but I am not saying who told me. ;)

10. White95Max

White95Max Guest

Scott - How would you compare the look and slickness of this combo with AIO/UPP?

11. Error

It's been secret for a long time, but it's supposed to hit the website this week or so.

I can tell you though that it's worth it, big time.

12. MattZ28

MattZ28 New Member

Hey look it's a faggot with a Toyota!!!!!!

LOL sup Brett :big grin:

I'll try out the new Z2 Pro...need something durable for the Camry and Excursion, and my old Zaino is almost out.

13. Scottwax

UPP is slicker, slickest stuff I've ever used. Zaino is pretty slick though, supposedly it stays slicker longer. I'll see my brother a week from Wednesday so I will look over his van then.

Zaino is very clear and mirror like. UPP has a somewhat softer and richer look.

14. Error

Damnit bitch, do you FOLLOW me? :eek3:
    STALKER :o

Keep us posted Scott.

15. MattZ28

MattZ28 New Member

Shush, I didn't know you were here, lol.

Scott -- remember how I said nothing will continue to bead on my paint wash after wash?

I used Z2 on the Excursion 3 weeks ago, and today I washed it (with Z7) and it beaded like I just applied it. I guess it's just the paint on my car....

16. Scottwax

Matt-same thing with a black S500 I washed weekly (he traded it in last year) a block away from a black S55. No matter what I used on the S500, it would bead 4-5 weeks or so and that was it. Easy 3 months on the S55. Go figure.

17. MattZ28

MattZ28 New Member

FYI, Z2 Pro has been up for a few days now, but has been sold for the past ~3 months in the old Z2 packaging (with a white top).

18. Scottwax

I heard about the Z2 Pro on Autopia. My understanding is a dawn wash is not necessary, just Z7 (Zaino's wash) to clean the paint so it Z2 can bond. I guess Sal heard the complaints about Dawn and some of the other concerns (like long drying times) and has addressed them.

Still sticking with carnaubas for my own car. Even UPP just didn't have that rich, deep look you get from carnaubas. If I had a pearl or silver car, I'd probably go with UPP, EX-P or when available, EX-P+ or Zaino Z2.

19. MattZ28

MattZ28 New Member

Agreed. Today I topped EX-P+ (x2) with S100. I knew I wouldn't last long....

20. Scottwax

I've got to get my hands on EX-P+.

I'm pretty happy with how my Zaino test went and Z2 Pro sounds very promising but from what I understand, ZFX is still recommended for the first coat and if you want to apply more than 1 layer at a time. If EX-P+ is more durable than regular EX-P, it would be a much easier way to get a similar look to Zaino without much of a durability comprimise.

I'll probably end up getting both products though.

21. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Wait, there's going to be a new EX-P? what huh what? :)

22. Scottwax

EX-P+

Those who have used the test versions seem really happy with it.

BTW, I found out the version of Z2 I tried was Z2 Pro.

23. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I just read about it on Detail City. Seems like what I was hoping for out of EX-P.

I tried joining there but apparently they don't want me!

24. Error

I haven't seen EX-P yet, what is it?

Scott, I asked you over on the other boards but didn't get an answer, what would you top Zaino with that wouldn't hurt the durability, but for an insane show shine. EX-P?

25. MattZ28

MattZ28 New Member