my YZ's piston and head are toast! where to buy replacement?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by fst89lx, Jun 12, 2003.

1. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

allright, for some reason my yz125 decided to eat my piston and head :( it looks like a pin came out and got on top of the piston and just got hammered to shit! (ill post pics later) anyway, a stock replacement yamaha head is like $200, fuck that shit! are there aftermarket heads? where can I get them, how much do they cost compared to OEM stuff??

Thanks!

2. RedVVing19

RedVVing19 Steve Yzerman > Hockey

ouch, that hurt, second problem you've had with that bike already

just look at a bunch of motocross websites and ask the people on the www.motocross.com forum

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

hate to tell you but the stock yamaha head will be the cheapest

i would go with a wesico piston on the rebuild though

check ebay for used heads but be careful buy an un poted head that hasnt been bored mroe than a few times

4. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

SHIT! so I am looking at at least 200 for the head!?

RedVVing, I have had more than this go wrong. here is a list.
    waterpump seal causing blown head gasket, broke tooth off of "new" front sprocket, had to take carb apart and rebuild because it kept fouling plugs, I think thats it but not sure. My buddy keeps tell me to get a honda :rolleyes: I just hope the cylinder is in good shape if it isn't I won't be able to ride for a long time! (I have the money to buy a new one but I need to put it into my mustang.)

I forgot my goddamn login/pass for motocross.com and I had them send me a password reminder LAST night but it hasn't come through yet! :sigh:

5. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

crap, what is the url for ot-upload?

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

unlkess the head it self is cracked it will be ok it will need a hone and new piston and rings even iff the sleve is bad it can be replaced

7. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I took the cylinder in to have it looked at and we (me and the service guy) noticed therewas a gouge out of the sleeve, so it will have to be re-sleeved. The guy also looked at the head and said it could be cleaned up but won't be as good as a new one. If I could find a place to upload pics I would post them and show y'all.

Either way I am really pissed because itll still cost me like $70 for a piston, 100-200 to clean up or get a new head, and 250-400 to clean up/get a new cylinder so I'm looking at $420 min to get the bike back up running again :wtc: I figure about the time I get done replacing broke shit on this bike I could have got a new yz instead :hs:

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

that woudl still beat my cheapest engine rebuild by about half you got off lucky

i have pics of pistons turned to powder then went through crank then the crank went through both hard to find virgin 250r cases the counte blanecr caused the stator to break an unreplaceable wire off by the time i was done it was a 112 octane 300cc bulit proof bottom end motor then after 5 hours the head blew off the cases

9. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Wiseco said that I wasn't running high enough octane (I was running 93 which is what EVERYONE around here runs and this does NOT happen to them!) and that caused the engine to get too hot and cause the piston to deform and that caused the pin to come one and do all the damage :ugh: Myself, my father and the guy at the powersport place call :bs: but what can you do. They said that their pistons have a rating of 88+ on the rockwell scale when they leave the factory and mine was 10, but how conveinient they did NOT send my piston back to me so I cannot confirm that. I think they are fucking me but oh well.

:edit: my bad, I didnt explain what all that means. I took the cyl/head/piston into a local powersport tuner and he said that it was the piston failed and caused all of this (the ring was not broken, the pin came out) so he took hi-res pics of the cyl and head, burned them on a cd and we shipped the pics and the piston to wiseco to see what they would say.

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

so the cilp came out and the pin hit the wall its realy knwo ones fault it happens and iff you melted the top of the pison i would guess to low of octane post pics of said fried piston

11. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I would post pics of teh piston and cylinder and head but I don't know where I can host them...